You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck Waiting to Download

I share a document between Mac and iPad that is updated multiple times throughout the day. Often, when I go to update it on the iPad, I notice that it appears out of sync. The Files app will say it is “Waiting to Download.” I have plenty of local and cloud space (> 500 GB free on each) and the file is only 1.3 MB in size. Sometimes rebooting the iPad helps. Just now I followed a previous post advice about disabling then re-enabling iCloud Drive on iPad. Sadly, that removed all of my favorite folders in the Files app and deleted 200 GB of files locally cached on the iPad that must now be re-downloaded.

Is there a better way to get around the Waiting to Download message? Whenever I check my iPhone, it has the latest file. Only the iPad seems to get stuck. Both are on WiFi and both have cellular data.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 11, 2022 1:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 5:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have followed all of the steps except “Contact Apple Support.” I have contacted Apple Support a few times through the years and never have they resolved a sync issue. By never, I mean actually never. My most recent question was about why it took so long for a video upload to begin and if I could estimate that time because the delay was impacting a workflow.

Support asked the regular questions, e.g. “Is the phone charged and turned on? Have you tried rebooting? Is it connected to the network?” Yes, I checked all of that before I called with a specific nuance of video synchronizing to iCloud. The support session ended when the support representative told me that in order to proceed, I would need to:

1. Remove all iCloud photos from iPhone
  2. Connect iPhone to Mac
  3. Without using iPhone or Mac, wait for Mac to synchronize all photos to iPhone
  4. Then call back support with the results

I told the representative that the question was about iPhone uploading to iCloud, asking how would synchronizing from Mac to iPhone provide any insight? Further, the iCloud photos and videos consume some 1.2 TB of space with the Mac only holding a portion of those locally. To synchronize, the Mac would need to download almost a terabyte of media from iCloud. Conservative estimates put me without a phone or Mac for the better part of a week, with the results providing no value.

All of my Apple Support interactions are similar. I will not be contacting Apple Support. I was hoping that someone in the Apple Community had seen this before and had an answer. Instead I will add this to the list of “no one knows” questions.

Thanks again.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2022 5:16 PM in response to Chris_V89

Thanks for the suggestions. I have followed all of the steps except “Contact Apple Support.” I have contacted Apple Support a few times through the years and never have they resolved a sync issue. By never, I mean actually never. My most recent question was about why it took so long for a video upload to begin and if I could estimate that time because the delay was impacting a workflow.

Support asked the regular questions, e.g. “Is the phone charged and turned on? Have you tried rebooting? Is it connected to the network?” Yes, I checked all of that before I called with a specific nuance of video synchronizing to iCloud. The support session ended when the support representative told me that in order to proceed, I would need to:

1. Remove all iCloud photos from iPhone
  2. Connect iPhone to Mac
  3. Without using iPhone or Mac, wait for Mac to synchronize all photos to iPhone
  4. Then call back support with the results

I told the representative that the question was about iPhone uploading to iCloud, asking how would synchronizing from Mac to iPhone provide any insight? Further, the iCloud photos and videos consume some 1.2 TB of space with the Mac only holding a portion of those locally. To synchronize, the Mac would need to download almost a terabyte of media from iCloud. Conservative estimates put me without a phone or Mac for the better part of a week, with the results providing no value.

All of my Apple Support interactions are similar. I will not be contacting Apple Support. I was hoping that someone in the Apple Community had seen this before and had an answer. Instead I will add this to the list of “no one knows” questions.

Thanks again.

May 12, 2022 5:02 PM in response to martyscholes

martyscholes,

Thanks for providing those details. Going forward, try going through any steps listed in the following resource that you may not have already tried under the "When changes to your files upload to iCloud" and "If your files don't update to iCloud Drive" sections: Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices - Apple Support

The steps listed in these sections should help with this specific issue.

If still running into issues with documents uploaded to iCloud Drive not showing up on your iPad, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly from this link here: Get Support - Apple

Best regards.

May 12, 2022 11:29 AM in response to martyscholes

Hello martyscholes,

Check to see if Background App Refresh is enabled for the app you use to update the file. This may help the app refresh as changes are made on your Mac as mentioned in Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. "If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh."

If available, try connecting your iPad to another network, then test again. This will help to rule out issues with the network.

Take care.

Stuck Waiting to Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.