You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant Kernel Panics

Recently, my M1 13" MBP has started crashing with kernel panics 3-4 times a day and I'm only been using the laptop for 2 hours a day last few weeks. This has become a nightmare. I've disconnected all peripherals not even a charger, experimented with various applications, running safari only I am still getting these crashes.

Here's the report summary, wondering if Apple could assist.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 14, 2022 12:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 2:24 PM

rommmm9991 wrote:

The diagnostic tool did not produce any error codes as it was unable to locate any issues. The problem is still happening, unfortunately I'm travelling for the next week then will attempt to take it to the Genius bar.

Could not agree more— step 1— uninstall any third party Anti-virus.

This is a known issue and competes directly with Apples own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple  macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

more—https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1902/en_US/apple-platform-security-guide.pdf

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 15, 2022 2:24 PM in response to rommmm9991

rommmm9991 wrote:

The diagnostic tool did not produce any error codes as it was unable to locate any issues. The problem is still happening, unfortunately I'm travelling for the next week then will attempt to take it to the Genius bar.

Could not agree more— step 1— uninstall any third party Anti-virus.

This is a known issue and competes directly with Apples own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple  macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

more—https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1902/en_US/apple-platform-security-guide.pdf

May 14, 2022 8:44 AM in response to rommmm9991

rommmm9991 wrote:

Recently, my M1 13" MBP has started crashing with kernel panics 3-4 times a day and I'm only been using the laptop for 2 hours a day last few weeks. This has become a nightmare. I've disconnected all peripherals not even a charger, experimented with various applications, running safari only I am still getting these crashes.

Here's the report summary, wondering if Apple could assist.

<Crash report.log>

Can you run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

May 15, 2022 1:49 PM in response to rommmm9991

It appears you have AVG installed as it appears in the Kernel Panic log. Uninstall AVG by following the developer's instructions. Anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve, plus they impact system performance. macOS already has great built-in security so just follow the safe computing practices as outlined in this article written by a well respected forum contributor:

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

May 18, 2022 10:29 AM in response to rommmm9991

rommmm9991 wrote:

I've been using AVG for years with no issues after macOS internal security missed on a couple of viruses that damaged my files.

Surprisingly the issue has disappeared as of few days ago without a notice....

Interesting— maybe you could say more, since there are no known Virus that effect mac.(?)

Effective defenses against malware and other threats… - Apple Community

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

*The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Constant Kernel Panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.