You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice Needed for HD Formatting

Hello folksies, I require some opinions from all you knowledgable people out there (because I'm not... umm... as knowledgable).

I am in possession of an external, 4TB G-Drive which I want to use to back up files on my Windows workstation. However, I'd also like to be able to hook it up to my Mac so that TMB can give me that extra level of protection.

Now, neither Monterey nor Windows 10 can read discs formatted in the other OS, so I need to determine the best strategy here.

I. Format in Windows, and use a sneaker-net solution via my thumb drive.

My only concern here is that I am not certain that future thumb drives will be formatted in a way that both OSes can read. And, I've yet to find a software package that can help the MacOS read Windows-formatted hard drives. (The MacOS used to be able to do this.)

II. Format as a Mac drive, but purchase one of these solutions that enables Windows to "see" Mac-formatted discs. I have a demo of such a program installed already (though I'd need to pay for it at this point).

What would you all do?

Tanqueue.

Posted on May 14, 2022 1:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2022 9:48 AM

If you want to use it with Time Machine and anything else, you must Partition the drive.

So, choose wisely to the size you want to give to Time Machine. At least 2 times the amount of data you expect to back up.

Also, make the Time Machine partition the first partition. That will allow you to erase the subsequent partition and expand the TM partition into the other.

For the other partition, use ExFAT for the format. Both OSes can natively read/write that file system.

Personally, I would get another drive. Choose the size most appropriate for the task you will use it for, either TM (3x the data you are backing up) or for the Windows/Mac data thing.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2022 9:48 AM in response to Keithiepoo

If you want to use it with Time Machine and anything else, you must Partition the drive.

So, choose wisely to the size you want to give to Time Machine. At least 2 times the amount of data you expect to back up.

Also, make the Time Machine partition the first partition. That will allow you to erase the subsequent partition and expand the TM partition into the other.

For the other partition, use ExFAT for the format. Both OSes can natively read/write that file system.

Personally, I would get another drive. Choose the size most appropriate for the task you will use it for, either TM (3x the data you are backing up) or for the Windows/Mac data thing.

May 14, 2022 2:56 AM in response to Keithiepoo

Use two separate individual drives. One for Windows and one for macOS.

1 - Time Machine Backup Utility needs to use a APFS Drive format

2 - Time Machine Backup what to use the Entire Drive for the sole purpose and dedicated to Time Machine.

3 - Putting all your macOS files and Windows files on the same drive may be doable, But, all the Eggs in one basket and that Drive Fails ( they do fail ) Everything is lost forever.

Speaking Only to macOS side of the question

Point # 11 - Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Point # 12 - For addition purposes - two Tested Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Does my CCC backup have to be bootable for me to restore data from it?

May 14, 2022 1:24 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hey guys, thanks for responding. I think I need to clarify a few things.

I have a 12TB drive set aside for TMB. It backs up my main HD, a secondary 2TB external drive I use just for media files, and a single, 4TB backup drive I use for this iMac. What I want to do is back up things I work on on my PC.

Now, I have a new 4TB drive I plan to use for that. 1. But, do I format it in a MacOS (APS??) format and use a Windows program that enables Windows to 'see' that drive, so that I can then bring it over to my Mac and do a TMB for it? Or, 2. do I format it in a Windows format and just use a thumb drive to copy files onto and then copy the files to my Mac for TMBing?

My only concern is that, while my thumb drive is formatted in such a way that both Windows and Monterey and read it, I am unsure how it's formatted at this point, and these formats keep changing. So, I'm concerned that this "sneaker net" solution will not be a solution next time I have to buy a new thumb drive.

Does this make sense?

Perhaps I should simply copy files across a network between my Mac and PC, and then do the TMB.

May 14, 2022 1:36 PM in response to Keithiepoo

You keep using what I assume is a reference to Time Machine (TMB) when you talk about Windows. There is nothing you can do that will allow Time Machine to back up your Windows PC.

If you want to back up Windows data, use a Windows format. I wouldn't bother making it cross-platform.

If you want to easily access those files from your Mac, use ExFAT.

If you want to somehow backup those files with Time Machine, then yes, you will need to format the drive for use on a Mac and buy software to allow Windows to read/write the Mac format. I don't imagine you will enjoy any benefit from this setup.

May 14, 2022 1:51 PM in response to Barney-15E

I guess I wasn't clear. I really tried to be.

I know that the TMB cannot be used for Windows. I got that. Hence, my formatting question.

If I format my new external drive in Windows, I can only do one of two things that I know of: sneaker net or networking between Mac & PC, either method to copy files over to my Mac, and then TMB that drive on which those files have been copied.

If I give it a Mac format, I'll need to purchase special software for Windows to see it. Then, when I wanted, I could move the drive to my Mac and let TMB do its thing.

I think I discussing this has helped me to answer my own question. Thanks guys.

May 16, 2022 7:19 AM in response to bergljotfromhveragerdi

I have a dis drive unused Shall I use it but it is not fast, it lays beside the computer? Free: 946,1 GB (946.104.811.520 bytes)

Capacity: 999,99 GB (999.994.384.384 bytes)

Mount Point: /

File System: APFS

Writable: No

Ignore Ownership: No

BSD Name: disk2s1s1

Volume UUID: 4BD8904D-419B-45B6-B621-74B00F29C045

Physical Drive:

Device Name: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB

Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia

Medium Type: SSD

Protocol: SATA

Internal: Yes

Partition Map Type: Unknown

SMART Status: Verified

Or what is wrong it is lot a space in my Mac?

Advice Needed for HD Formatting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.