You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight won't search within folders

I'm reposting this question. I originally posted last December, and got a lot of suggestions for things to try, but none of the suggestions solved the problem. At that time I was having several other problems with my Mac (most notably, frequent kernel panics), and I thought that maybe there was some unique bug deep inside my Mac, so I finally broke down and bought a brand new M1 MacBook Pro. (That was painful, because the previous Mac was less than 2 years old.)

So now I have a new MBP, and it's running great - except that Spotlight still won't search within folders.

If I do a Spotlight search at the top level ("This Mac"), Spotlight returns results instantly. (So, yes, Spotlight has indexed the drive.)

But if I navigate to a folder in a Finder window and enter a term in the search field in the window, Spotlight returns nothing. When a search is active in a finder window, an option appears to search "This Mac". If I click on "This Mac", search results appear immediately.

This problem is not related to Spotlight privacy settings. Spotlight is set to index my entire internal SSD. The only items excluded from Spotlight are external drives that I use for back-up and storing my music.

Per a recommendation from my original post, I downloaded an app called Find Any File (FAF). Using FAF, I can search within a folder and search results will appear immediately. If I try to repeat the same search using Spotlight (or, more specifically, Cmd-F) in a finder window, Spotlight will not return any search results.

When I first posted this, a lot of people chimed in saying they have the same problem, so this isn't unique to my Mac.

Really hoping that someone can come up with a solution to this problem this time around. I suppose I could start using FAF, but it's not nearly as convenient as just typing Cmd-F when I have a window open in finder and searching that way.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 16, 2022 8:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 9:00 AM

Spotlight is working within folders for me with Monterey 12.4 on an Intel iMac. Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 16, 2022 9:00 AM in response to Clinto

Spotlight is working within folders for me with Monterey 12.4 on an Intel iMac. Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

May 16, 2022 5:00 PM in response to Old Toad

I booted in Safe Mode, and it appeared that Spotlight wasn't functioning. First I tried to search within a folder, and no results appeared. Then I clicked on "This Mac" to broaden the search to the whole computer and no results appeared again.

I launched Activity Monitor to see if Spotlight was indexing the drive, and it wasn't.

Then I tried a search in Find Any File, and results appeared immediately.

I waited a couple of minutes and repeated all of the above and got the same results. Then I rebooted the Mac normally, and tried to search within a folder and no results appeared. When I broadened the search to "This Mac", results appeared immediately.

Verrrrrry weird!

Spotlight won't search within folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.