You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhotos does not sort properly

I transferred 10,000 photos over from my older Mac, and they were sorted perfectly by title. Now the new Mac sorts everything by metadata and not titles. There are photos and videos multiple cameras, GoPro, etc. going into one folder from every trip so metadata is useless. I would not have bought this expensive paperweight had I known the main use for me did not work anymore. Any bug fixes that someone has found?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on May 16, 2022 10:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 1:16 AM

Photos for Mac can still sort photos in albums by the title, but only, if a photo has a title. Since macOS 10.15 Catalina Photos does no longer use the filename as a default title, if we have not assigned a title. Photos is just showing the filenames below the thumbnail, if a photo has no title, but greyed to, and does not sort by the filename. The changed behaviour of titles is described here: Sorting Albums by Title in Photos - Chang… - Apple Community

If your problem is about filenames as default titles title, and want to sort by the filenames, you have to copy the filenames to the title field in the info of a photo. You could try an Apple Script to batch copy the filenames: Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filenames with Extension (Dec 19,2018).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2022 1:16 AM in response to iPhotosdoesnotwork

Photos for Mac can still sort photos in albums by the title, but only, if a photo has a title. Since macOS 10.15 Catalina Photos does no longer use the filename as a default title, if we have not assigned a title. Photos is just showing the filenames below the thumbnail, if a photo has no title, but greyed to, and does not sort by the filename. The changed behaviour of titles is described here: Sorting Albums by Title in Photos - Chang… - Apple Community

If your problem is about filenames as default titles title, and want to sort by the filenames, you have to copy the filenames to the title field in the info of a photo. You could try an Apple Script to batch copy the filenames: Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filenames with Extension (Dec 19,2018).

May 18, 2022 10:57 AM in response to léonie

Wow, okay. So it seems I either have to edit 10,000 photos Info across 70 photo albums or try the programming option. I wonder if the people at Apple actually use their products or just develop products in their basements without beta testing.

I guess they don't care as they got my money and now I have to take months to work out the bugs across phones and laptops.

Will probably be back after I try to fix their mistakes with more questions.

New iPhotos does not sort properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.