You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New computer with old software

Using migration assistant to transfer files to my new computer, a Mac Studio, brought over some unwanted 32 bit applications. So before loading new 64 bit versions I want to delete all related files and not wonder if related to the new programs. Declutter the computer somewhat. The apps are fairly easy to find with Apple's Circle-slash over them. Looking for related files, the MacHD/Library/ApplicationSupport have some obvious deletes and some that must have come over from the mid 2005-2010 eras from previous migrations and some "uncertain" because I'm not savvy with recognizing old programs. I have 27 candidates, but some show more recent dates. iLife and iLife slide show are from 2012 and 2010, but iLife media browser has some March 2022 plugins listed. Any advice how to approach overall?

Mac Studio

Posted on May 16, 2022 6:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 8:02 AM

Charles Palenz wrote:

So finding and identifying these old application file elements hidden in out-of-the-way-places is what this posting is all about.

A little late to the game here, but I have been using AppCleaner for quite a number of years for this task:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Provided that the source executable is still present in your Applications folder, dragging that into the AppCleaner window will locate associated .plist files and what not left over from the original install.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 18, 2022 8:02 AM in response to Charles Palenz

Charles Palenz wrote:

So finding and identifying these old application file elements hidden in out-of-the-way-places is what this posting is all about.

A little late to the game here, but I have been using AppCleaner for quite a number of years for this task:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Provided that the source executable is still present in your Applications folder, dragging that into the AppCleaner window will locate associated .plist files and what not left over from the original install.

May 17, 2022 1:35 AM in response to Charles Palenz

What is going to be suggested below may seem harsh.

It will required rebuilding everything from scratch.

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and other have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

May 17, 2022 8:49 AM in response to PRP_53

My central question before loading new updated software to the new computer is to delete files that 32 bit programs stick in other places outside their own folders, like in the Application Support folder, which came over when I migrated. There are other places and the uninstall programs handle all that. Since a 32 bit uninstall program will not run under Monterey, it becomes a manual process and I don't pretend I can find all, but perhaps someone has ideas how to find some and where one might find ways to identify cryptic file names as unneeded. And a few have been found that came from my very first intel mac several migrations ago. I feel pretty confident any file in Application Support dated 2010 or before can be deleted.

My migration went well and there appears no way to avoid the software situation as there were desirable programs too, and the app store helped me get those updated, keep passwords and licenses, a lot of good things. And the old computer is keeping those old 32 bit programs for a rainy day.

So finding and identifying these old application file elements hidden in out-of-the-way-places is what this posting is all about. The P. Phillips, Luis Sequeira1, ku4hx comments are not relevant or helpful.

May 17, 2022 9:00 AM in response to Charles Palenz

First, thanks for clarifying what you meant - it was not clear before.

The advice about migrating only the user accounts was extremely pertinent - so much so that this what you actually did!

You are right that some files associated with old applications will have been transferred if they were in ~/Application Support.

They are not themselves 32- or 64-bit.

I would just leave them there, as they don't do anything, and do not use up much space, but if you want you can just open the folder in the Finder and drag any subfolders that pertain to old stuff directly to the trash. They will typically either have the same name as the application, eg. "MyApplication", or be in reverse url format, eg "com.mydev.myapplication".

May 19, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

There are three members of our Mac Users group that testified to the benefits they receive using Clean-My-Mac application and why they use it and the benefit I would receive for my specific situation. They have many years of Mac experience and have the credentials for honesty and commitment to that which is right and the technical knowhow. Luis Sequeira1 remarks are presented without supporting explanation and thus not appropriate and not just justified. Luis: you have said enough on my post, do not reply.

New computer with old software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.