You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you wakeup other apps on lockscreen like apple maps?

Hi everyone,

Why is apple maps the only map app which can be woken up on lockscreen (power or home brings you to map view immediately without need for pin/touch id/face id)?

Other apps like komoot or Google maps are not allowed to (or I haven't found the option yet) and you have to unlock each time.

This is a total no-brainer and extremely annoying when travelling for days on your bike. Btw it just works like it should on android.

Posted on May 17, 2022 1:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 2:20 PM

Buddler wrote:

Why is apple maps the only map app which can be woken up on lockscreen (power or home brings you to map view immediately without need for pin/touch id/face id)?

This is a user-to-user forum. No one here can answer questions about "why" Apple does or does not do something. Though, if I had to guess, I'd say security. Apple also doesn't read here for suggestions or feedback. You can, however, let them know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

This is a total no-brainer and extremely annoying when travelling for days on your bike. Btw it just works like it should on android.

You should always use the tool that best meets your needs. If that's an Android phone, that's what you should use. iPhones hold their value quite well so, I'm sure you could sell yours for a decent amount of money and put that toward an Android phone if that's what works for you.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2022 2:20 PM in response to Buddler

Buddler wrote:

This is a user-to-user forum. No one here can answer questions about "why" Apple does or does not do something. Though, if I had to guess, I'd say security. Apple also doesn't read here for suggestions or feedback. You can, however, let them know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

You should always use the tool that best meets your needs. If that's an Android phone, that's what you should use. iPhones hold their value quite well so, I'm sure you could sell yours for a decent amount of money and put that toward an Android phone if that's what works for you.

May 17, 2022 2:47 PM in response to Buddler

Buddler wrote:

"Though, if I had to guess, I'd say security."
Can anyone confirm this barrier only exists for non-native apps?

I think it exists for most apps, native or non-native. There are very few apps you can access without unlocking the screen. The only other one that springs to mind is Camera and the apps in the Control Center (e.g. Calculater, Clock)

Otherwise thanks for the feedback link.

Best of luck.

Can you wakeup other apps on lockscreen like apple maps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.