You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone locking up

what can be done to stop the iPhone from locking up? I have an XR which works fine 90% of the time.

I have 1 app open which working fine and all of a sudden, my iPhone locks up.

The phone is around 90% charged and updated to version 15.4.1.

Is there a fix for this? My iPhone gets rebooted every 24-36 hours.

Very Frustrating!!

Regards,

cegarman

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on May 21, 2022 12:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2022 3:21 PM

Sure. As the battery degrades closer to the 80% capacity you can start to see more use issues like freezing and slowness. Lithium ion batteries are designed to retain use thru 80% capacity.

If you’ve been keeping the iOS and apps up to date, but have to restart or force restart more and more often it’s likely the battery. iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

You can also try a restore to factory settings using a computer to rule out a deeper software issue, first. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 22, 2022 3:21 PM in response to cegarman

Sure. As the battery degrades closer to the 80% capacity you can start to see more use issues like freezing and slowness. Lithium ion batteries are designed to retain use thru 80% capacity.

If you’ve been keeping the iOS and apps up to date, but have to restart or force restart more and more often it’s likely the battery. iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

You can also try a restore to factory settings using a computer to rule out a deeper software issue, first. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

May 22, 2022 1:28 PM in response to shoeluvr13

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reponse.

The locking or freezing occurs whether the iPhone is at full charge or at 10%.

Could you provide a bit more information as to why the battery at 80% Max Capacity would be the issue ? The iPhone has been locking up for approximately the last year of so. I've brought it now only because its getting to be a pain in the butt as it were.

I'm not sure the battery capacity being at anything but 100% would be the causation of this issue.

Regards,

Cegarman

iphone locking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.