You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID isn’t working X

If Face ID isn’t working then I have to buy a new phone? It’s been updated.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 22, 2022 11:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 12:12 PM

Nope, it is very rare that you will see anyone here who works for Apple, this is a user-to-user technical support site operated by Apple. If people are prompted into buying something new by repair costs that is their decision. And the iPhone X was the first phone with Face ID and has been around for awhile. And again it isn't just the iPhone X having failures.

The cost to do an out-of-warranty replacement for the iPhone X is $549. This is not repairing the camera it is a complete replacement unit that may be new or refurbished. The cost for an iPhone 13 Pro is about twice that.

You have another option to consider since I am guessing your iPhone X is out of warranty. I would suggest you go the 3rd party route but they do not have access to the Security Enclave and even if they replaced the True Depth camera they would never be able to activate it.

So you can go this route -> iPhone Repair - Official Apple Support

You can turn off Face ID and just use a passcode.

You can buy a newer iPhone.

Or you can buy a different model smart phone. Personally I don't continue to do business with a company that I think is scamming me but you may be different. Since I gave tips for buying another model smartphone I'm not sure of the logic that I was paid for that.

Good luck to you whichever route you take.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2022 12:12 PM in response to erikad100

Nope, it is very rare that you will see anyone here who works for Apple, this is a user-to-user technical support site operated by Apple. If people are prompted into buying something new by repair costs that is their decision. And the iPhone X was the first phone with Face ID and has been around for awhile. And again it isn't just the iPhone X having failures.

The cost to do an out-of-warranty replacement for the iPhone X is $549. This is not repairing the camera it is a complete replacement unit that may be new or refurbished. The cost for an iPhone 13 Pro is about twice that.

You have another option to consider since I am guessing your iPhone X is out of warranty. I would suggest you go the 3rd party route but they do not have access to the Security Enclave and even if they replaced the True Depth camera they would never be able to activate it.

So you can go this route -> iPhone Repair - Official Apple Support

You can turn off Face ID and just use a passcode.

You can buy a newer iPhone.

Or you can buy a different model smart phone. Personally I don't continue to do business with a company that I think is scamming me but you may be different. Since I gave tips for buying another model smartphone I'm not sure of the logic that I was paid for that.

Good luck to you whichever route you take.

May 23, 2022 6:02 AM in response to deggie

So your obviously paid for your responses. The phone will cost hundreds to fix prompting consumers to have to buy a new phone. It happens often before new models come out. If you don’t have a solution then don’t respond. I need a tech response not a advice to go into a store. I need help fixing the phone not a know it all who gets paid for responses.

Face ID isn’t working X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.