You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an older version of pages on my macbook 2011. How can I open new pages docs on it?

Why can't I open pages, numbers or keynote docs anymore on this device?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 24, 2022 5:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 6:27 AM

You should be able to open current Pages or Numbers documents with Pages v5.6.2 on macOS 10.11.6 — provided that they do not contain newer features that are unsupported by Pages v5.6.2.

If you are still using Pages '09 and Numbers '09, then you cannot open documents created by newer versions of these named applications because the internal document architecture changed starting with newer versions released in Oct 2013. You would receive a pop-up dialog that the index.xml file is missing. Your only recourse is to use the respective applications from iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2022 6:27 AM in response to COaug22

You should be able to open current Pages or Numbers documents with Pages v5.6.2 on macOS 10.11.6 — provided that they do not contain newer features that are unsupported by Pages v5.6.2.

If you are still using Pages '09 and Numbers '09, then you cannot open documents created by newer versions of these named applications because the internal document architecture changed starting with newer versions released in Oct 2013. You would receive a pop-up dialog that the index.xml file is missing. Your only recourse is to use the respective applications from iCloud.

I have an older version of pages on my macbook 2011. How can I open new pages docs on it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.