You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an apple adapter to connect a thunderbolt to a USB port?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 24, 2022 8:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 9:25 AM

Dreoj wrote:

Yes.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

It was recommended to me when I bought my new Mac from Apple on-line. Hard to connect to all your old USB devices if you don't have a adapter.

if you are going the other way a new thunderbolt device back to an old Mac USB—maybe not your best choice.

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3, or USB-C ...

general reading—

https://www.macworld.com/article/229045/thunderbolt-3-adapter-m1-imac-macbook-pro-mac-mini-usb-displayport-hdmi-ethernet.html

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2022 9:25 AM in response to Dreoj

Dreoj wrote:

Yes.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

It was recommended to me when I bought my new Mac from Apple on-line. Hard to connect to all your old USB devices if you don't have a adapter.

if you are going the other way a new thunderbolt device back to an old Mac USB—maybe not your best choice.

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3, or USB-C ...

general reading—

https://www.macworld.com/article/229045/thunderbolt-3-adapter-m1-imac-macbook-pro-mac-mini-usb-displayport-hdmi-ethernet.html

May 24, 2022 8:35 PM in response to Dreoj

You need to be much more specific. Are you trying to connect a standard USB-A device like an external drive to a USB-C port on your new Mac? Or are you trying to connect an external device with a USB-C port to an older Mac? Or are you trying to connect an older Thunderbolt 1/2 device to a new Mac which only has USB-C ports?

It is also very important to know which protocol the external device uses since a USB-C connection does not tell us enough information. Some types of connections may be possible and others may not be depending on the protocol the external device supports. Does the external device support Thunderbolt protocol or the USB protocol? Sometimes an external device with a USB-C port may have an icon next to the port showing a USB symbol or a Thunderbolt symbol, but some devices may not show any icons so you will need to check the documentation for the device.

The newer 2016+ Macs which use USB-C ports allow for both USB and Thunderbolt protocols so you can connect older devices with the appropriate adapters.

External devices with USB-C ports usually only support one of the two protocols. An external drive will typically support the USB protocol, but other drives may only support the Thunderbolt protocol. This is especially important if you are trying to connect a USB-C device to an older Mac which uses the older style USB-A connector and Thunderbolt 1/2 ports (aka mini-display port connector). In this case you must match up Thunderbolt protocol with Thunderbolt port. USB protocol for USB port.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble locating a good article which can explain this a bit better.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.