You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail quit unexpectedly

Mail is behaving strangely, I can launch Mail with the shift key so no mailbox is selected. Upon launch, I can select Inbox to show mail headers, but when any inbox message is selected or opened, the app quits. I can open and manipulate any other messages in all other mailboxes with no problem. I have tried removing the container files com.apple.mail and com.apple.MailServiceAgent, also tried removing the preference files com.apple.mail.plist and com.apple.mail-shared.plist , with the same results. Booting in safe mode makes no difference. Additionally, the files com.apple.MailServiceAgent and both preference files have not reappeared in their respective folders. I am able to access my e-mail through my internet provider's webmail page, so I am trying to keep the server from becoming loaded with mail while I try to get some advice. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a mid-2007 iMac, so there's no updating possible. Anybody?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 27, 2022 12:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 11:54 AM

Hi Varlet G,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! Doe this happen with a specific mail account? Has it been removed and re-added? From the Mail app go to Mail menu > Preferences > Accounts, select the account and there minus button in the bottom of the screen.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Once removed, you can re-add it to see if this continues to occur.

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 28, 2022 11:54 AM in response to Varlet G

Hi Varlet G,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! Doe this happen with a specific mail account? Has it been removed and re-added? From the Mail app go to Mail menu > Preferences > Accounts, select the account and there minus button in the bottom of the screen.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Once removed, you can re-add it to see if this continues to occur.

Hope that helps!

Apple Mail quit unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.