You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Numbers pivot table does not count blank cells

I have a Numbers spreadsheet and one of the columns is text. Some of the rows in that column are empty. I create a pivot table and want to get a count of all the occurrence of text values in that column. So for example, I have "Required", "In Progress", "Not Required" plus as mentioned, some of the cells are empty. In the resultant pivot table I get the correct count of the number of occurrences of the above values. A row is generated for the empty cells called "(blank)" but the count is 0 which is wrong because I have many blank cells. I tried changing the source table column cell data format from "Automatic" to "Text" but the results are the same. I also have tried putting a space in the blank cells and the pivot table creates new a row where the row name is empty (likely there is a single space in it) and correctly counts the number of rows I've put a space in. The "(blank)" row is still there and the count is still 0.

How can I count those empty cells in the pivot table? I'd like this to be part of the pivot table functionality. I know I can set up separate formulas to do that but that defeats the purpose of the simplicity of a pivot table. I'm thinking that this is either a bug with pivot tables or an option that is not available or I haven't found.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 6:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 7:48 AM

NdrwOe wrote:

I'm thinking that this is either a bug with pivot tables or an option that is not available or I haven't found.

I can reproduce that behavior here.

I think it is unintuitive behavior, and a bug. You might consider giving feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu.

SG

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2022 7:48 AM in response to NdrwOe

NdrwOe wrote:

I'm thinking that this is either a bug with pivot tables or an option that is not available or I haven't found.

I can reproduce that behavior here.

I think it is unintuitive behavior, and a bug. You might consider giving feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu.

SG

Jun 3, 2022 7:04 AM in response to Ralf-F

Thanks Ralf! You've given me a workaround. In my case I don't have to add a separate column, I just have to pick a column where an entry is mandatory for every row and then use the summarize count(all) option. However, if I want the column name to reflect the values I'm measuring then I have to add the new column as you've recommended and duplicate the column name. Thanks for looking at this.

Jun 3, 2022 9:13 AM in response to NdrwOe

You could put the word "blank" or "--" or something else in those cells that are blank. You did it with a space before but then the label for that row in the pivot table appears empty. If you only have three choices + "blank" for the data in this column, you can make it a pop up menu with "blank" or "--" as the first item.

Apple Numbers pivot table does not count blank cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.