You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird problem with .aac files

Hello all

I have run into a very weird problem with .aac files. Obviously .aac files used to be the default audio format for iTunes - I am not sure what the current default format for the Apple Music app is? Anyway, I recently downloaded a couple of .aac files from two or three third party sites (ie not the iTunes Store). When I clicked them, however, they opened in the Books app for some strange reason! When I then changed the file association for these specific files to the Apple Music app, I got a security warning - but when I then confirmed that I still wanted to open the file, nothing happened. The file simply did not open. I then tried changing the default app for all .aac files,: the security warning then no longer appeared but the files still refused to open in the Music app. I redownloaded the files several times with the same result. What's especially odd is that the problematic files open and play quite happily in author audio players, such as the Vox app and QuickTime Player. What could possibly be happening here? Any pointers gratefully received

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 10:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 1:32 AM

Different kinds of aac files! Of course, that's it. I was assuming all .aac files were identical. Running these through these through the QuickTime Player export function - which saw them relabelled .m4a - has solved the issue 🙏🏻

3 replies

Weird problem with .aac files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.