You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iPad 9 get a phone number so I can make and receive calls?

Can my iPad get a phone number so I can call and receive calls?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 1:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 7:45 PM

MikiSunshine wrote:

The iPad should have originally been set up with a cellular carrier. I don’t think you can set it up retroactively.

You're confused. Whether an iPad is set up with a cellular provider or not makes no difference. iPad does NOT have a cellular radio like an iPhone or Apple Watch (if Apple Watch is purchases as cellular). A cellular iPad, if set up with cellular service is for data only. This means a cellular iPad can access the internet without being connected to Wifi. It still isn't a cell phone.

If one owns an iPhone, using continuity, they can make and receive phone calls on an iPad (regardless of whether it is Wifi only or Wifi + Cellular).

This link explains how Continuity works --> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2022 7:45 PM in response to MikiSunshine

MikiSunshine wrote:

The iPad should have originally been set up with a cellular carrier. I don’t think you can set it up retroactively.

You're confused. Whether an iPad is set up with a cellular provider or not makes no difference. iPad does NOT have a cellular radio like an iPhone or Apple Watch (if Apple Watch is purchases as cellular). A cellular iPad, if set up with cellular service is for data only. This means a cellular iPad can access the internet without being connected to Wifi. It still isn't a cell phone.

If one owns an iPhone, using continuity, they can make and receive phone calls on an iPad (regardless of whether it is Wifi only or Wifi + Cellular).

This link explains how Continuity works --> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Can my iPad 9 get a phone number so I can make and receive calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.