You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clearing My Places in Apple Mac OSX Maps application

I cannot remove nor clear My Places in the Apple Maps application.

• The My Places "folder" is listed under My Guides in the left sidebar.
  • It claims there are "10 Places" but only shows four (4) in the list. R
  • ight clicking onto each place and CTRL + right clicking triggers a drop down menu.
  • Clicking onto the Remove from Guide option does nothing.

How does one delete "My Places" from the Maps app? Can anyone help? BTW, some of the places have no apparent relation to me other than I may have been in the listed city once years ago.

Current macOS: Monterey 12.4

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 7:05 PM

Here's how I answered my own question today (Saturday, June 4). I'm unsure exactly of the underlying cause, but I suspect it had something to do with iCloud.

Background:

I was experiencing the above problem on my iMac (2018) running macOS. I also own an iPhone 5 SE (2016) and recently purchased an iPad Pro (2022). Of course the operate on iOS. The locations shown in the My Guides / My Places section probably date from several years ago (2015-2018).

---

Resolution:

I turned on my new iPad this afternoon and looked on the Maps application. All four locations listed above were located in the application, including multiple instances of several of them, for a total of ten (10) Places. My iPad Pro has never left the house.

I suspect the Places were added on my iPhone several years ago.

Within the iPad Pro I was able to delete each place. I backed up the iPad to my iCloud account. A short while later, I went back to my iMac and, indeed, they had cleared from the Maps app sidebar.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 4, 2022 7:05 PM in response to bwellSea

Here's how I answered my own question today (Saturday, June 4). I'm unsure exactly of the underlying cause, but I suspect it had something to do with iCloud.

Background:

I was experiencing the above problem on my iMac (2018) running macOS. I also own an iPhone 5 SE (2016) and recently purchased an iPad Pro (2022). Of course the operate on iOS. The locations shown in the My Guides / My Places section probably date from several years ago (2015-2018).

---

Resolution:

I turned on my new iPad this afternoon and looked on the Maps application. All four locations listed above were located in the application, including multiple instances of several of them, for a total of ten (10) Places. My iPad Pro has never left the house.

I suspect the Places were added on my iPhone several years ago.

Within the iPad Pro I was able to delete each place. I backed up the iPad to my iCloud account. A short while later, I went back to my iMac and, indeed, they had cleared from the Maps app sidebar.

Jun 4, 2022 8:08 AM in response to Old Toad

@Old Toad:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I tried that multiple times and was successful with other listed guides. Unfortunately, the Delete Guide option does not show up in this Guide on my iMac called "My Places" – see screen clip.

I wonder if it has to do with this "My Places" guide being on iCloud from another device. I'll have tor read the online documentation for Maps and iCloud more thoroughly I suppose.

Thanks again....

Jun 4, 2022 10:00 AM in response to PRP_53

@R. Phillips:

Thank you. I actually tried that multiple times on each place before I posted my question yesterday. Right clicking shows "Remove from Guide" as an option. This doesn't work for me. Curiously, the My Places guide lists ten (10) places but only displays four (4) Places. I even tried "Removing" the each place multiple times just in case each had multiple instances. Still does not work.

Thanks again.

Clearing My Places in Apple Mac OSX Maps application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.