You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotty GPS on hotspot connection with iPad Pro 10.5

I use my iPhone to provide hotspot connection to my iPad.

When I use Apple Maps, the GPS is spotty and doesn’t exactly pinpoint where I am when I am navigating.

However, when I use cellular connection iPad, it works fine. What’s wrong?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 7:38 PM

4 replies

Jun 5, 2022 8:18 AM in response to Boba7Leaves

Hi Boba7Leaves,

A hotspot connection is not the same as a direct cellular connection when using GPS. However, the information in the article here can help: If Maps isn’t working on your Apple device

Specifically the section quoted below.

"If you can’t find your current location on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and make sure that Location Services is turned on and that Maps is set to While Using the App or Widgets.
  2. Make sure you set the date, time and time zone correctly on your device. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time. If possible, use Set Automatically.
  3. Make sure that mobile data or Wi-Fi is turned on and that you have an active connection.
  4. Close the Maps app, then open it again. 
  5. Restart your iPhoneiPad or iPod touch.
  6. Try a different location or switch to a different Wi-Fi network. 

Location Services uses GPS, Bluetooth, crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspots and phone masts to determine your location. Find out more about Location Services on your iOS or iPadOS device."

You can also check to make sure "Precise Location" is turned on. Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best.

Spotty GPS on hotspot connection with iPad Pro 10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.