You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring applications to new computer

I just bought a refurbished iMac to replace the one I am currently using and want to transfer all my applications. Can I just put all of them on a 1T thumb drive and make the switch or will there be a problem with licensed software like Microsoft 360?

Can I just do this using the Cloud?

iMac 21.5″, 10.13

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 6:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 7:34 AM

Your signatur line indicates you run macOS 10.13 High Sierra. If that's correct, be aware that any 32-bit apps that you are currently using will be incompatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina, macOS 11 Big Sur and macOS 12 Monterey and will not run. You must update to 64-bit versions or replace them with alternative applications that meet the 64-bit requirement.

This includes older versions of Adobe CC, Microsoft Office apps, some device drivers and apps for printers and scanners and many others. All current Apple software is 64-bit compatible, and updates for some older Apple titles are available for download in the Mac App Store.

This seemingly small detail has tripped up many users who have upgraded to a newer macOS and then find their software is broken. 

You can check which of your current apps are 32-bit by clicking the  Apple () menu > System Preferences > About This Mac > System Report.  Then scroll down the list on the left to <Software> and click <Applications> (you may have to click the triangle next to Software). It may take a moment, but your Mac will list of the apps installed on your computer. Now click the column labeled 64-bit (Intel) and sort them by Yes/No.

Any apps that are listed as No in the 64-bit column will not work under Catalina and newer macOS.

Optionally, to check for 32-bit apps, you can use this free compatibility scanner app https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/.

Update/upgrade the apps you use, including device drivers. You'll need to visit the publisher websites for info about what they offer and the path you'll need to take. Consider alternative software, for example Libre Office instead of the MS product, though current MS apps are 64-bit compliant.  For devices, likewise a visit to the manufacturer site for driver updates, if any.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2022 7:34 AM in response to tomtweed

Your signatur line indicates you run macOS 10.13 High Sierra. If that's correct, be aware that any 32-bit apps that you are currently using will be incompatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina, macOS 11 Big Sur and macOS 12 Monterey and will not run. You must update to 64-bit versions or replace them with alternative applications that meet the 64-bit requirement.

This includes older versions of Adobe CC, Microsoft Office apps, some device drivers and apps for printers and scanners and many others. All current Apple software is 64-bit compatible, and updates for some older Apple titles are available for download in the Mac App Store.

This seemingly small detail has tripped up many users who have upgraded to a newer macOS and then find their software is broken. 

You can check which of your current apps are 32-bit by clicking the  Apple () menu > System Preferences > About This Mac > System Report.  Then scroll down the list on the left to <Software> and click <Applications> (you may have to click the triangle next to Software). It may take a moment, but your Mac will list of the apps installed on your computer. Now click the column labeled 64-bit (Intel) and sort them by Yes/No.

Any apps that are listed as No in the 64-bit column will not work under Catalina and newer macOS.

Optionally, to check for 32-bit apps, you can use this free compatibility scanner app https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/.

Update/upgrade the apps you use, including device drivers. You'll need to visit the publisher websites for info about what they offer and the path you'll need to take. Consider alternative software, for example Libre Office instead of the MS product, though current MS apps are 64-bit compliant.  For devices, likewise a visit to the manufacturer site for driver updates, if any.

Jun 5, 2022 7:00 AM in response to tomtweed

Move your content to a new Mac

As for licensed software - I not expert enough to offer any reliable answers on that question

As for iCloud - it is unclear if the user means the user files associated with the Office 360 or the Applications from Office 360.

iCloud is only a conduit to have Application Files ( personal files ) created by the User. They are available to other devices you own and have used the Same Apple ID and using iCloud on all the devices.

Changes made on one device is synced to iCloud and the changes are reflected to any other device.

iCloud is not designed or intended to be used aa Storage ( like and External Drive to Archive Data ) and create Empty Space on the Internal Drive

Jun 5, 2022 9:36 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thank you Mr. Johnson, You saved me a heap of heartburn. I followed your guidance and was delighted to find that only MS stuff (no surprise) was not compatible with my new computer. But I will circumvent this problem by getting Libra Vanilla per your recommendation.

It was very good of you to take the time to explain things in such detail and in layman's language. I very much appreciate it

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Jun 9, 2022 9:16 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Dear Mr. Johnson,

You have been so helpful with your advice, I thought I would ask you once again to help me puzzle out the switch to my new iMac. Here are my current questions:

Will the 5T external drive I have been using for my Time Machine on my current iMac work on my new iMac just by plugging it in or do I need to do something to make it work?

I charged my new keyboard and mouse on my current iMac and now the new devices appear on my current Bluetooth menu. How do I get rid of them?

While I am setting up my new iMac in another room will the Bluetooth signals 

reach and register on my existing machine?

Please Let me know what you think.

transferring applications to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.