You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages not syncing between iPhone and iPad

I updated both my iPhone 11 and iPad Air to iOS 15 this past weekend. Now iMessage will not sync between the two devises. I have done literally EVERYTHING suggested to resolve the problem... Turning off/on iMessages and FaceTime then rebooting (did this a million times) and I even reset my iPad. Still not syncing. Handoff is toggled on both devises. Send/Receive on iPad shows two email addresses but not my phone number (greyed out.) Is next step to completely erase and start from scratch or is this a know glitch?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 8:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 8:48 AM

If you have tried “everything” (?) this leaves very little else to try.

If both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, to send SMS/MMS messages from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and verify that you have explicitly enabled your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2022 8:48 AM in response to Eltonron

If you have tried “everything” (?) this leaves very little else to try.

If both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, to send SMS/MMS messages from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and verify that you have explicitly enabled your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

Jun 6, 2022 9:11 AM in response to LotusPilot

By “everything,” I mean I’ve tried every solution I’ve read, none of this have worked, including resetting Network settings and making sure text forwarding is enabled for both iPads in my iPhone settings, as you suggest. Is there a certain off-and-then-on-again order, or reset pattern that I need to do, in order to reset that forwarding?

New text messages are appearing on the iPads now. But messages I’ve received within the past several days (I.e. right after the devices upgraded to iOS 15.5) are appearing on iPhone, but not the iPads. I want to have all texts on all devices, so I can be sure all threads are consistent, for purposes of responding.

Jun 6, 2022 9:17 AM in response to Eltonron

If Messages in iCloud has been enabled, your messages should synchronise.

You can reset message synchronisation by disabling Messages in iCloud; when prompted, ensure that you keep a local copy of your messages - as otherwise you will erase/clear your stored messages.

After disabling Messages in iCloud, restart both devices, then re-enable Messages in iCloud - first for iPhone, then for iPad.

iMessages not syncing between iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.