You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect apple tv remote to tv?

How do I connect my apple tv remote to my non-smart tv?

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 7:29 PM

5 replies

Jun 7, 2022 2:13 AM in response to PopsTV

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is your model remote? Identify your Apple TV remote - Apple Support

Turn connected devices on|off is done through CEC signals over HDMI. The remote turns on|off the Apple TV box, and that signals the TV what it should do as well, if it understands that. CEC has to be activated on both devices for this to work.

Consumer Electronics Control - Wikipedia

Control your TV or receiver with your Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

CEC is available for Apple TV (4th generation or later), not earlier models.

CEC support on TVs depends on each manufacturer, and may have a brand-specific trade name in their manual.

Jun 15, 2022 2:04 AM in response to PopsTV

I don't have a iphone
as well as my TV is not a smart TV.

An iPhone is not needed, nor helpful for what you want.

A smart TV is not needed, as the Apple TV box brings the ‘smart’ functionality when in use.

So how do I control my tv functions i.e. on, off, volume, etc?

On|Off would be done though HDMI-CEC, for TVs that support that. When you wake the Apple TV, it sends a signal to the TV to wake as well. When you put the Apple TV to sleep, it sends a signal to the TV to go to standby mode. Control your TV or receiver with your Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

Volume control would be done through IR signals from the remote. The standard IR signals that it knows should be supported by most TVs and audio systems. Some TVs may want different signals, then you can learn those signals to the remote. Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥

﹥Auto (default or best guess)

﹥Receiver via IR

﹥TV via IR ← try this if not responsive in Auto settings

﹥Off

﹥Learn New Device… ← else try this

Connect apple tv remote to tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.