You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MBP external monitor flickering and linear lines

Just bought my Hyperdrive Duo 7-in-2 Thundebolt Hub recently (which supports 4K/60Hz HDMI), and it doesnt work as expected on my Macbook Pro M1, i was at macOS 12.1 and it flickers every 2 seconds, and after an unplug of hdmi, it even goes black. My monitor is Samsung U28R55 which supports 4K 60Hz HDR (and there’s no HDR Option shown), i tried updating macOS to the latest version, which makes the frequency of flickering become around 15 seconds instead of 2 seconds, however, this is still unusable and unreliable, i searched around from the web, there’s plenty of cases seems having the same issue with M1 series Mac, but there doesnt seems to be a solution with it, i hope there will be a fix very soon from Apple.

Pretty sure that it isnt the monitor’s or the hub’s issue, not even the cable, i tried the same setup on an Intel based Macbook Pro, and there’s no issue with it.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 7:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 7:59 AM

kwankiu wrote:

Just bought my Hyperdrive Duo 7-in-2 Thundebolt Hub recently (which supports 4K/60Hz HDMI), and it doesnt work as expected on my Macbook Pro M1, i was at macOS 12.1 and it flickers every 2 seconds, and after an unplug of hdmi, it even goes black. My monitor is Samsung U28R55 which supports 4K 60Hz HDR (and there’s no HDR Option shown), i tried updating macOS to the latest version, which makes the frequency of flickering become around 15 seconds instead of 2 seconds, however, this is still unusable and unreliable, i searched around from the web, there’s plenty of cases seems having the same issue with M1 series Mac, but there doesnt seems to be a solution with it, i hope there will be a fix very soon from Apple.

Pretty sure that it isnt the monitor’s or the hub’s issue, not even the cable, i tried the same setup on an Intel based Macbook Pro, and there’s no issue with it.

28" UHD Monitor (U28R55) | High Resolution Monitor

https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/solutions/monitor-solution/easy-setting-box

Monitors Support - Samsung

Samsung Electronics/Customer service

1 (800) 726-7864

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

I will add—The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2022 7:59 AM in response to kwankiu

kwankiu wrote:

28" UHD Monitor (U28R55) | High Resolution Monitor

https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/solutions/monitor-solution/easy-setting-box

Monitors Support - Samsung

Samsung Electronics/Customer service

1 (800) 726-7864

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

I will add—The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

M1 MBP external monitor flickering and linear lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.