You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Login Typing Invisible

I don't see what I'm typing in the Name and Password fields but it logs in anyways. If I log out then the page is normal. If I restart it is not. I have reset PRAM NPRAM, Reinstalled the OS. It works properly in safe boot but not on a normal boot. I included a picture of a normal login screen and then a picture of my problem login screen. There are no words in the Name Password Sleep Restart and Shutdown spaces as there normally are. The symptom is the same whether I use List Of Users or Name and Password. I have attached screenshots. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 12:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 2:40 PM

Howdy,

You've done some good troubleshooting there.

That it works properly in safe boot but not on a normal boot, something extra you have loading in at boot is causing the issue.

(I wasn't able to duplicate the issue.)

When you reinstalled the OS, was it a clean install or over the top of the existing OS leaving extra software in place?

If it was a clean install, did you test at each stage as you reinstalled other software?

From How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:

Test your login items.

• To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account

then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account,

• Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential

devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.

Reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

The above focuses a lot on user login items, but since this happens even before login, it seems to be something other than login items or user accounts.

ivan

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2022 2:40 PM in response to KarenMC59

Howdy,

You've done some good troubleshooting there.

That it works properly in safe boot but not on a normal boot, something extra you have loading in at boot is causing the issue.

(I wasn't able to duplicate the issue.)

When you reinstalled the OS, was it a clean install or over the top of the existing OS leaving extra software in place?

If it was a clean install, did you test at each stage as you reinstalled other software?

From How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:

Test your login items.

• To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account

then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account,

• Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential

devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.

Reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

The above focuses a lot on user login items, but since this happens even before login, it seems to be something other than login items or user accounts.

ivan

Jun 11, 2022 7:26 AM in response to KarenMC59

KarenMC59 wrote:

I don't see what I'm typing in the Name and Password fields but it logs in anyways. If I log out then the page is normal. If I restart it is not. I have reset PRAM NPRAM, Reinstalled the OS. It works properly in safe boot but not on a normal boot. I included a picture of a normal login screen and then a picture of my problem login screen. There are no words in the Name Password Sleep Restart and Shutdown spaces as there normally are.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/5961b238-84b3-4e75-be95-a14484866d62

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a005008c-ade0-4862-ad00-bf674019edd4
The symptom is the same whether I use List Of Users or Name and Password. I have attached screenshots. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try changing your preferences to "List of User" and compare your results:

>System Preferences>Users & Groups

Jun 13, 2022 6:38 AM in response to ivan54

Thank you for your reply. I reinstalled Catalina over the existing OS. If I format the drive and reinstall the OS then it is fine but I need to avoid this if possible so that I don't have to reinstall all of the software as I have many computers to maintain. I had disconnected any peripherals. I did create a new user but as you noted, the problem occurs even before the login so it didn't resolve the issue. I installed the OS updates and still no luck. There are no apps listed in the Login Items. I'm not sure if I could find something in Activity Monitor but I don't know what I would look for. I deleted the login plists in Library Preferences but that didn't help.

Catalina Login Typing Invisible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.