You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White noise/fan noise on start up

Why, on starting my brand new MacBookPro, would I be getting white noise/fan noise on start up? No programs running, nothing blocking vents, ambient temp 19C, no chance of overheating.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 8:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 8:43 PM

Littlespace-Makespace

"White noise/fan noise on start up: Why, on starting my brand new MacBookPro, would I be getting white noise/fan noise on start up? No programs running, nothing blocking vents, ambient temp 19C, no chance of overheating."

-------

For Reverence...

Troubleshooting Mac Fan:

A. Start Here: About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support

B. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-based Macs only)What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for or Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your power adapter may not be being seen promptly by the ports.

C. Restore from a Backup:

If you backed up your Mac prior to updating it then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

D. Reinstalling the macOS:

Another option would be to reinstall the macOS. Perhaps the install was not 100% successful? Sometimes, when major changes are made to your Mac(i.e. update installations), system settings (i.e. for the fan) become manipulated, technically. So, when reinstalling, nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important: Be certain you back up your Mac prior to the installation, as I mentioned in C.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2022 8:43 PM in response to Littlespace-Makespace

Littlespace-Makespace

"White noise/fan noise on start up: Why, on starting my brand new MacBookPro, would I be getting white noise/fan noise on start up? No programs running, nothing blocking vents, ambient temp 19C, no chance of overheating."

-------

For Reverence...

Troubleshooting Mac Fan:

A. Start Here: About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support

B. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-based Macs only)What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for or Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your power adapter may not be being seen promptly by the ports.

C. Restore from a Backup:

If you backed up your Mac prior to updating it then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

D. Reinstalling the macOS:

Another option would be to reinstall the macOS. Perhaps the install was not 100% successful? Sometimes, when major changes are made to your Mac(i.e. update installations), system settings (i.e. for the fan) become manipulated, technically. So, when reinstalling, nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important: Be certain you back up your Mac prior to the installation, as I mentioned in C.

Jun 10, 2022 10:46 PM in response to Littlespace-Makespace

Littlespace-Makespace:

"White noise/fan noise on start up: Cheers, had tried A and B above without any luck previously. Literally the laptop is brand new but will review restoring factory settings. Have just updated to latest OS and no luck – noise still present. "

-------

Perhaps this is a Faulty Device:

Note that you have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty with this, if purchased from Apple. So, either return this (you have 14 days to do so), or contact Apple Support, seeing if you can get this fixed.

Contact Apple Support:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as necessary
  • Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. And that makes sense because with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

White noise/fan noise on start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.