You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought a used iphone

I recently purchased a used iphone from a store on the internet. Mercari. Here it is icloud locked through apparently another person. I tried to ask the person that I purchased the phone from about this. And once purchase is complete u can no longer speak message this person. So I sent email to apple it's self. I sent the receipt that I got from Mercari when purchasing this phone. Well that's not good enough they want the original owner name when and where they purchased it. So again no where no where with my old iPhone that was stolen no where with another phone I purchased. Why can't apole tell me or get hold of the original owner of rhis iPhone that is icloud locked. I mean it was reported lost or stolen. I would think that apple it's self would contact the owner of this ohone to tell them it was recovered but no thet want information i can't get for them. What's the point of having all that info for a lost or stolen phone if u nor apple cant let this person no their phone has been found.

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 11:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 12:01 PM

Hello ~ Apple doesn’t get involved in this sort of thing and I wouldn’t want my personal information given out . Your recourse is with Mercari. Also take a look here:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Also:

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

~Katana-San~

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2022 12:01 PM in response to Blippy1980

Hello ~ Apple doesn’t get involved in this sort of thing and I wouldn’t want my personal information given out . Your recourse is with Mercari. Also take a look here:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Also:

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

~Katana-San~

Bought a used iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.