You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can two-step verification increase security?

If a person has my device and my password how can two-step verification in any way increase my security? Wouldn't using my device ID provide the same security?

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 1:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 1:57 PM

Two-Factor Authentication protects your Apple ID, not your devices. Your devices should be protected with a strong passcode and no one but you should have that passcode for any reason.

If a person has your device's passcode they can access the device but they cannot access your Apple ID or add other devices to the Apple ID.

2-Factor Authentication prevents anyone from accessing your account even if they have your email and password for it.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2022 1:57 PM in response to Rattler_24

Two-Factor Authentication protects your Apple ID, not your devices. Your devices should be protected with a strong passcode and no one but you should have that passcode for any reason.

If a person has your device's passcode they can access the device but they cannot access your Apple ID or add other devices to the Apple ID.

2-Factor Authentication prevents anyone from accessing your account even if they have your email and password for it.

How can two-step verification increase security?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.