You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an I phone 7 connect to a USB port on a non wireless printer.

How can I get an I phone 7 to connect and print to a non WiFi or air drop printer

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 10:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 12:55 PM

Hi,

The iPhone does not support printing via a wired (USB) connection.

So, you would have to use an AirPrint printer and a Wi-Fi router. The printer and the iPhone must be connected to the same network.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

An AirPrint-enabled network printer can be wired (Ethernet) to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router, or it could be wirelessly connected.

Printers supporting the AirPrint technology are listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support.

Some non-AirPrint wireless printers can, alternatively, use a special iOS app from the printer manufacturer.

If you have access to a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or later Mac computer, there may be a workaround. Using special Mac software (such as Printopia), this computer could act as an AirPrint print server. The USB printer would be connected to the Mac, and could then be shared on a network. This provided that appropriate print drivers are installed on the Mac in question.

If necessary, please post back with the exact printer model.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 16, 2022 12:55 PM in response to dsg123

Hi,

The iPhone does not support printing via a wired (USB) connection.

So, you would have to use an AirPrint printer and a Wi-Fi router. The printer and the iPhone must be connected to the same network.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

An AirPrint-enabled network printer can be wired (Ethernet) to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router, or it could be wirelessly connected.

Printers supporting the AirPrint technology are listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support.

Some non-AirPrint wireless printers can, alternatively, use a special iOS app from the printer manufacturer.

If you have access to a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or later Mac computer, there may be a workaround. Using special Mac software (such as Printopia), this computer could act as an AirPrint print server. The USB printer would be connected to the Mac, and could then be shared on a network. This provided that appropriate print drivers are installed on the Mac in question.

If necessary, please post back with the exact printer model.

Jun 16, 2022 4:59 PM in response to dsg123

Since the printer is not AirPrint, you will likely need to try an application like Printopia to see if it will work.

Printopia - Print from your iPad or iPhone - Decisive Tactics, Inc.

https://www.decisivetactics.com › products › printopia

There is a free tryout version of the app, so you will know if it works before you buy. I have no interest in Printopia other than that as a satisfied customer.

Can an I phone 7 connect to a USB port on a non wireless printer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.