You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to charge properly - MacBook Air

I need to know what is the best way to charge MacBook Air. Always charge until 100% or below that? Any charging method recommendations?

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 10:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 10:57 AM

Hi,

Just leave it plugged in unless you want to use it on battery power for portability. Apple has made the charging system automatic so you don't have to worry about overcharging. If you want to stop charging before 100% so you can use it on battery power, that's ok too.

You can also use "Optimized Battery Charging: This feature helps to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by learning your daily charging routine. It delays charging the battery past 80% when it predicts that you’ll be plugged in for an extended period of time, and aims to charge the battery before you unplug. You can change this option in Battery preferences." Charge the MacBook Air battery - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 18, 2022 10:57 AM in response to buddhika1986

Hi,

Just leave it plugged in unless you want to use it on battery power for portability. Apple has made the charging system automatic so you don't have to worry about overcharging. If you want to stop charging before 100% so you can use it on battery power, that's ok too.

You can also use "Optimized Battery Charging: This feature helps to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by learning your daily charging routine. It delays charging the battery past 80% when it predicts that you’ll be plugged in for an extended period of time, and aims to charge the battery before you unplug. You can change this option in Battery preferences." Charge the MacBook Air battery - Apple Support

Jun 19, 2022 9:28 AM in response to buddhika1986

buddhika1986 wrote:
yeah, you are right. This means that I can charge the mac whatever the way I want. 0%-100%, 50%-100%, or 40%-80% likewise. Am I correct?

There are a lot of different opinions on this subject, but for the most part I believe that it's not really worth worrying about it. My take is that the battery serves the user and not the other way around. Just use it and accept that if it needs to be replaced, it's a reasonable price for the service.

Optimized charging was mentioned. I personally don't like it because I first found that it was operational when it started dropping in charge level when connected to power. It can actually allow a drop to 80%, which accumulates cycles.

how to charge properly - MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.