You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greyed out brightness and auto brightness on my MacBook Pro M1 Max laptop

I am trying to control the brightness but this lovely(not) M1 Max chip is not allowing it is there a solution to this issue?

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 3:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 8:58 AM

JasonLaChance16 wrote:

I am trying to control the brightness but this lovely(not) M1 Max chip is not allowing it is there a solution to this issue?

No SMC or NVRAM on the M1 SoC.

—Therefore if you have an issue— equivalent Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal.

—If no resolve try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 19, 2022 8:58 AM in response to JasonLaChance16

JasonLaChance16 wrote:

No SMC or NVRAM on the M1 SoC.

—Therefore if you have an issue— equivalent Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal.

—If no resolve try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

Jun 25, 2022 5:51 PM in response to JasonLaChance16

JasonLaChance16 wrote:

I figured out the reason the MacBook Pro M1 Max 's brightness was greyed out. The display was set to HDR video (P3-1600 nits) which does not allow for brightness adjustment. As soon as I changed it to XDR I was able to regulate the brightness. Thank you for your reply.

Good report JasonLaChance16 — thanks for the followup.

Greyed out brightness and auto brightness on my MacBook Pro M1 Max laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.