You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has automatic update of Apps never worked normally on my iPhone?

Why has automatic updating of Apps never worked normally?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 8:50 AM

11 replies

Jul 24, 2022 7:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Here’s more information on Private Relay→About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

Apple’s discussion of VPN→Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

And a general analysis of VPN use:

Something to think about→Don't use VPN - GITHUB

There are two legitimate purposes for using VPN:

• To allow access to a private network such as a school or business when you are not on site. 
  • To allow access outside of a country with a repressive government that has restricted Internet access. (This has suddenly become more important)

Any other use is risky, and can lead to problems like the one discussed in this thread. VPN disguises your location by making you appear to be somewhere else in the world. But you usually can’t control that “somewhere else”, and if it is in a location that an app isn’t approved for the app won’t work. Plus the fact that the provider of the VPN knows everything about you and your location, as well as what sites you access through the VPN. So you are totally dependent on the VPN provider’s honesty. As a start, if the VPN is free, DON’T USE IT. The provider has to make money somehow, and if you aren’t paying them then they are selling your private data to make money. But even those that charge can’t necessarily be trusted. For example, a few years ago Avast was caught selling user browsing data. They claim they have stopped doing so. 

You don’t really need VPN when using public Wi-Fi, because all communications between your device and the servers it accesses are end-to-end encrypted.

If you want VPN for privacy about the sites you visit, that’s not a good choice as discussed; instead you should download and use the TOR browser.

Jun 21, 2022 9:20 AM in response to JustinMichaelJoseph

Automatic updates should occur overnight if the following is true

• you are on a good Wi-Fi, (from 15.4 iPhone 7 up, you may be offered cellular update)

• Plenty of spare storage – 6GB at least.

• on charge with more than 20%, OR

• off charge with more than 50%

• low power mode turned off.

• Fully working cellular network connection via your SIM.

• Check Settings, General to make sure you have no Beta profile installed.

• no VPN installed (Check Settings, General, VPN & Device Management)

Jul 24, 2022 7:30 AM in response to JustinMichaelJoseph

Uninstallation of all 3rd party VPNs is a required condition, whether “reasonable” or not, except for VPNs to access a private business or school network (which is the intended purpose of VPN). VPN profiles seriously corrupt up the protocol stack just by being installed. And Safari does NOT come with pre-installed VPN. Apple does not call iCloud+ Private Relay a VPN, because it isn’t, and doesn’t work like a VPN. It disguises the IP address during browsing and uses an encrypted DNS connection.

Are asking about app updates and not iOS updates, which LD150 addressed, have you enabled app updates over cellular? Alternatively, if you want to update only over Wi-Fi you must leave the phone connected to power overnight (you should anyway, as it’s better for extending the useful life of the battery).

Go to Settings/App Store and turn on:

• Cellular Data (optional-see above)
  • Automatic Downloads/App Downloads
  • Automatic Downloads/App Updates
  • Cellular Data/Automatic Downloads (optional)
  • Cellular Data App Downloads —> Always Allow (optional)

Aug 2, 2022 5:11 AM in response to JustinMichaelJoseph

I have just uninstalled all VPNs in my MacBook and iPhone 7 Plus - including the VPN coming with Box 2 of Bitdefender Antivirus and any extension of VPN such as Surf Shark in the Chrome browser. As I have said, I have also carefully verified that all conditions listed above for automatic updating of Apps are fulfilled. But when my iPhone is connected to the MacBook for several hours, not only has there been no automatic updating, I noticed that even the Apps to be updatd needed to be manually obtained in my iPhone's App Store. Otherwise, I would be unaware there would be Apps available for updating. Regarding the conditions listed, for example: Go to Settings/App Store and turn on:

• Cellular Data (optional-see above)
  • Automatic Downloads/App Downloads
  • Automatic Downloads/App Updates
  • Cellular Data/Automatic Downloads (optional)

Cellular Data App Downloads —> Always Allow (optional). These items have always be turned on, so I do not have to turn them on. As for the conditions: Automatic updates should occur overnight if the following is true

• you are on a good Wi-Fi, (from 15.4 iPhone 7 up, you may be offered cellular update): Ookla speed test says there is at least 90Mbps on the MacBook from WiFi, and at least 67Mbps for WiFi on the iPhone.

• Plenty of spare storage – 6GB at least. (470GB of 1TB available on MacBook. For iPhone, only 121GB of 256GB storage used)

• on charge with more than 20%, OR (definitely more than 90% charged on my MacBook and iPhone for several hours with both linked with USB cord. They were both kept linked and on charge for several hours)

• off charge with more than 50% (off charge also more than 90%)

• low power mode turned off. (Turned off all the time)

• Fully working cellular network connection via your SIM. (Cellular network in my location weak but WiFi on all the time is strong)

• Check Settings, General to make sure you have no Beta profile installed. (No Beta profile for the latest updated iOS and MacOS)

• no VPN installed (Check Settings, General, VPN & Device Management) (Confirmed for both iPhone and MacBook)

I am wondering if there are other people with this problem and have solved it. If so, please tell me what to do.

Jul 24, 2022 7:52 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Safari now comes pre-installed with the possibility of hiding our IP address with VPN? I am not using VPN when I am trying to run automatic updating of Apps. So do I have to uninstall Safari to get automatic updating of Apps to work? Also, millions of people live in autocratic countries and must use VPNs in order to get access to Facebook and Twitter.

Jul 24, 2022 8:16 AM in response to JustinMichaelJoseph

JustinMichaelJoseph wrote:

Safari now comes pre-installed with the possibility of hiding our IP address with VPN? I am not using VPN when I am trying to run automatic updating of Apps. So do I have to uninstall Safari to get automatic updating of Apps to work? Also, millions of people live in autocratic countries and must use VPNs in order to get access to Facebook and Twitter.

As you apparently didn’t read or didn’t understand my response:

PRIVATE RELAY IS NOT VPN

PRIVATE RELAY IS NOT VPN

PRIVATE RELAY IS NOT VPN

PRIVATE RELAY IS NOT VPN

PRIVATE RELAY IS NOT VPN

Now go back and read my ENTIRE post.

Jul 24, 2022 9:22 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I understand that for tens if not hundreds of millions who must use VPNs to enjoy access to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter or for numerous journalists and political activists in autocratic countries, they cannot normally have automatic updating of Apps in iOS or MacOS devices. Also, I have switched on App automatic updating for cellular, although I normally connect my iOS devices to my Macs for charging. When I eventually have time, I will consider uninstalling all VPN Apps in my iPhone and see if there is automatic updating of Apps that way. If your advice to uninstall all VPNs allows automatic updating of Apps in my iPhone, I will come back there and let you know to thank you.

Aug 2, 2022 8:21 AM in response to JustinMichaelJoseph

If you are USB connected to the Mac fir a long time rather than on Wi-Fi, I may be wrong, but you will not get auto updates of apps or iOS OTA but the Finder (iTunes on Mojave and older) should show you that an iOS update is available ,

I only connect to Mac for syncing purposes for 20 minutes once a week so don't know how an iphone tethered long term will behave

Aug 2, 2022 9:57 PM in response to LD150

Thanks for trying to help me. Most of the day, my iPhone is not connected to my MacBook. But all the conditions for auto updating of Apps are normally fulfilled. However, not only is there no auto updating of any App, the list of Apps that can be updated is normally absent. I have to scroll down and refresh the App section of App Store to see which Apps have updates available. Then I must manually update any or all of the Apps.

Why has automatic update of Apps never worked normally on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.