You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which of my apps won’t work after system upgrade?

I’m on iPad 6th gen. (if I remeber correctly), iOs 11.4. I need to upgrade. I’m afraid some of my apps won’t work anymore. How to make sure which ones?

Thanks,

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 4:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 5:35 AM

You’ll need to check each App individually within the App Store. There’s no shortcut to checking which Apps will work - and those that won’t.

Each App in the App Store will show if the App is compatible with your iPad - and the minimum system requirements for the currently available version of that App.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.5

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2022 5:35 AM in response to baskak

You’ll need to check each App individually within the App Store. There’s no shortcut to checking which Apps will work - and those that won’t.

Each App in the App Store will show if the App is compatible with your iPad - and the minimum system requirements for the currently available version of that App.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.5

Jun 23, 2022 6:14 AM in response to baskak

Unless the App is iPad hardware specific (which is generally only applicable to high-end models of iPad - by example, the current iPad Pro models with a LiDAR sensor), the actual model of iPad is largely irrelevant.

Older Apps, that have not been updated to use updated/modified system libraries may not work after update of the iPad to a later major version. This is not a fault of iOS/iPadOS, but is simply the App Developer failing to keep their Apps updated; Apps that no longer receive update support, having been abandoned by the respective Developer, will eventually be removed from the App Store.

Forward compatibility is not necessarily guaranteed. As with any Operating System, if there are installed Apps upon which you are critically dependent, the onus is on the user to verify with the Developer that the App/Application continues to be compatible with the updated OS.

You may find that an App Developer has their own website where you may find additional information - or you should seek more information directly:

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Jun 23, 2022 5:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's an iPad 6th gen. (A1893).

That's a pity there's no global check for compatibility - at least some apps used to show "this app won't work on current iPadOS after you upgrade" warning, but I guess not anymore. Definitely a feature request!

I'm trying to check one by one, as you suggested, but I can't find the information you mention - the AppStore only indicates "Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later." (for example) under "Compatibility". It doesn't say what's the latest version of the system it runs on. Obviously it runs (yet) on my iPad, as I've yet not upgraded for fear of losing some apps. Currently on 11.4.

How do I check it, then?

BRG

Antoni

Which of my apps won’t work after system upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.