You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

make TextEdit open new document by default

This used to happen automatically (as recently as a few months ago), but sometime in the last couple months, things changed so that now when I open TextEdit it assumes I want to open an existing file. Which I never do. Yes, New Document is just one click away, but it bugs me that I have this extra step now. I don't see any way to force it to open a new document by default when opening, but really hope I'm missing some way to do that. Any help?

And yes, this exact question was asked and "answered" in Jan 2020, but that answer was garbage with nothing useful. I close all my textedit docs before quitting textedit, the "change preferences" is a bunch of useless check boxes that don't pertain to this issue.

I want one click "new doc" back on my textedit, please.

MacPro (intel) running Monterey

Mac Pro, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 9:28 AM

In System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Drive > Options… uncheck TextEdit. That will now cause TextEdit to launch without a file chooser dialog, and should open a new document automatically for you. This is how it behaves for me on macOS 12.4.

Similar questions

2 replies

make TextEdit open new document by default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.