You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail POP settings?

Can anyone tell me if I can set up Apple Mail with POP settings? I am getting a feeling that only IMAP is supported — is this right?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 5:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 5:56 AM

Not correct. By default Apple mail does the IMAP. If you want POP you need to trick the system. To set up the account pick "other' then on next screen put in a bogus email and PW. On the next screen then put in your real credentials and pick POP.

8 replies

Jun 24, 2022 6:53 AM in response to Calamity Jane

If you mean the Apple app "Mail" it supports POP3, IMAP, SMTP, Exchange and S/MIME.

If you mean Apple iCloud mail, that is IMAP with email client apps such as Mail; and Webmail for access via browsers.

Even if you could trick the Mail app to use POP with iCloud Mail, I suggest that is a risky endeavor ... Apple has never promoted or documented POP support in iCloud mail. If POP service is running on iCloud Mail it's only because mail servers typically support multiple protocols; however in most implementations only one or two are usually implemented. In the case of iCloud mail that would be IMAP and Webmail; POP, if it's running, may not be fully functional on iCloud Mail. Here are Apple's specifications for iCloud mail -> Mail server settings for iCloud email clients - Apple Support

Also, remember that under POP, when you download email messages they are normally deleted from the server and remain only on your local computer.

Apple Mail POP settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.