You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import content?

I have some .m4a files that I would like to play in the Apple Music app. Is this possible?

There are old methods that rely on iTunes, but that has been removed from current iOS and MacOS.

Is there any way to import, add, or play these files? The files play normally in Quicktime, so I know they are valid audio files. Just need to find a way to make Apple Music see files that are outside their catalog.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 12:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 4:06 PM

Thanks picas, that was a helpful step.

I learned that iPad music app cannot import anything!

Instead, I have to import it to a Mac (where Music allows this), and then make a cable connection to the iPad.

After this, it was possible to import on the Mac and then the option for the imported file appears, to send to device (the iPad).

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2022 4:06 PM in response to jerelo

Thanks picas, that was a helpful step.

I learned that iPad music app cannot import anything!

Instead, I have to import it to a Mac (where Music allows this), and then make a cable connection to the iPad.

After this, it was possible to import on the Mac and then the option for the imported file appears, to send to device (the iPad).

How to import content?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.