You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Esoteric Network Setup - Can iMac default route local ethernet over to Wifi internet?

I keep my ( Airport ) wifi router in the garage and connect to it via ethernet wire to machines in the house to keep my traffic on the wire and not in the wifi.

I want to get rid of the messy wires now, so I am wondering can I route to the wifi router in my garage to either by

• Wifi on my Mac in the house with ethernet and wifi, using the wifi connections to the router, or
  • Install a wifi router inside the house connected to the wifi router in the garage to get to the Internet?

Here is a sketch of what I want to do?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 9:07 PM

Are you

saying that House Wifi Router in bridge mode will not connect to wifi devices

in the house, and that it will only bridge ethernet packets from the Garbage

Wifi Router to itself to the House wired ethernet?

Remember the part above where I said that WiFi and Ethernet devices are all on the same network? I said the WiFi devices will "see" Ethernet devices and Ethernet devices will "see" WiFi devices. They can all talk to each other.

I do have another Airport ... the lesser smaller model. So, let me further ask are

you saying the Apple Airport wireless routers are different in that they will in

addition to connecting a local wired ethernet network over wifi to the main

Airport router will talk to wireless devices and extend the wireless network to

areas where the main router will not reach?

From my answers above.......I said that ideally you would want to connect the smaller AirPort to your "main" Airport using a wired Ethernet connection. The reason......best performance. The smaller AirPort can probably connect to the "main" Airport using only a WiFi connection if the distance and obstructions are not too numerous.......but even if it can, you will lose at least half of the potential speed on the entire network if you set things up that way.

The smaller AirPort can "extend" the network from the "main" Airport using either a wired Ethernet cable connection or a WiFi connection.

But, if you already have the Ethernet cable running from your "main" router to the other location where the smaller AirPort will reside, why would you not want to use the fastest and most reliable connection.......Ethernet?

Honestly, I'm sorry but it really appears that you are trying to way over think things.

Let us know whether the smaller AirPort will connect to the "main" AirPort using a wired Ethernet connection......or......for some reason you cannot use Ethernet and the smaller AirPort must connect using WiFi to the "main" AirPort.

We'll tell you exactly how to configure the smaller AirPort. You will be amazed at how easy this will be.

I was under the impression that Bridge Mode would act like an h/w ethernet

bridge or switch that extends the network to more devices, either wired or

wifi?

Correct, and a repeat of what I have been saying. The "smaller" AirPort will auto configure itself in Bridge Mode, no matter whether it connects to the "main" AirPort using an Ethernet connection, or it connects to the "main" AirPort using a WiFi connection.......(which I am not recommending, unless there is no way that the AirPorts can connect using Ethernet.)

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2022 9:07 PM in response to bruxxx

Are you

Remember the part above where I said that WiFi and Ethernet devices are all on the same network? I said the WiFi devices will "see" Ethernet devices and Ethernet devices will "see" WiFi devices. They can all talk to each other.

I do have another Airport ... the lesser smaller model. So, let me further ask are

you saying the Apple Airport wireless routers are different in that they will in

From my answers above.......I said that ideally you would want to connect the smaller AirPort to your "main" Airport using a wired Ethernet connection. The reason......best performance. The smaller AirPort can probably connect to the "main" Airport using only a WiFi connection if the distance and obstructions are not too numerous.......but even if it can, you will lose at least half of the potential speed on the entire network if you set things up that way.

The smaller AirPort can "extend" the network from the "main" Airport using either a wired Ethernet cable connection or a WiFi connection.

But, if you already have the Ethernet cable running from your "main" router to the other location where the smaller AirPort will reside, why would you not want to use the fastest and most reliable connection.......Ethernet?

Honestly, I'm sorry but it really appears that you are trying to way over think things.

Let us know whether the smaller AirPort will connect to the "main" AirPort using a wired Ethernet connection......or......for some reason you cannot use Ethernet and the smaller AirPort must connect using WiFi to the "main" AirPort.

We'll tell you exactly how to configure the smaller AirPort. You will be amazed at how easy this will be.

wifi?

Correct, and a repeat of what I have been saying. The "smaller" AirPort will auto configure itself in Bridge Mode, no matter whether it connects to the "main" AirPort using an Ethernet connection, or it connects to the "main" AirPort using a WiFi connection.......(which I am not recommending, unless there is no way that the AirPorts can connect using Ethernet.)

Jun 30, 2022 1:39 PM in response to bruxxx

Option one is a no go.

Your second option with another AirPort router will work. Ideally, it would be the same model as your "main" AirPort. Ebay has refurbished and used AirPorts for sale.

Try to connect the "remote" AirPort to the "main" garage AirPort using a wired Ethernet cable connection. If that is not possible, the remote AirPort might be able to connect back to the main AirPort using WiFi, but you will lose at least half of the potential speed on the network using this type of setup.

If the Roku, TV, and Doorbell all connect using Ethernet, you have 3 Ethernet LAN ports on the "remote" AirPort with which to connect. The iMac would need to connect to the remote AirPort using WiFi.

If you want to also connect the iMac using Ethernet, then you could add a simple 5 port Ethernet switch to the remote AirPort to create additional Ethernet connections and connect all the Ethernet devices to the switch.

Bottom line.....as you know......the more that you can use Ethernet connections, the better the network will operate. But, WiFi on the iMac would probably be OK if it is not located too far from the remote AirPort.

Jun 30, 2022 1:46 PM in response to Bob Timmons

> Try to connect the "remote" AirPort to the "main" garage AirPort using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

That is pretty much what I have now, except it is not another Airport in the house, just a wired router. I have a long ethernet cable that goes out the top of the roof of my house over to the garage and into the router there. I want to get rid of that cable and am willing to take the hit in performance for simplicity. It's only about 10-15 feet through the walls.

My uncertainty is if I can get the iMac to route packets to the Wifi interface, and how. I am not sure that is the natural way it is supposed to go. Same with a wifi router - it is trying to get it to operate in reverse isn't it?

Is that the same thing as an ad hoc configuration where the two wifi interfaces are really acting as bridges and not routing between networks? I am probably talking over my level of competence here with Macs/Routers. ;-)

Jun 30, 2022 2:15 PM in response to bruxxx

That is pretty much what I have now, except it is not another Airport in the house, just a wired router.

That router needs to be in "Bridge Mode", so any device that connects to the remote router will "see" the same network, just as if they connected directly to the main AirPort router using Ethernet.

Another way to say the same thing.......In Bridge Mode, a router acts like an Ethernet switch. It is simply an Ethernet connection point. In effect, all you have done is add more Ethernet ports to the main AirPort.

If you were using a second AirPort, that AirPort would automatically configure itself in Bridge Mode. But, a 3rd party router will not do this.

Sorry, I'm not following your wireless and wired questions. All devices are on the same network.....no matter whether they connect using Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Think of your network as having two doors that open into the same room. One "door" is WiFi and other "door" is Ethernet.

Ethernet devices can "see" and connect to WiFi devices. WiFi devices can "see" and connect to wired devices. Everything is on the same network.

Jun 30, 2022 2:30 PM in response to Bob Timmons

All devices are on the same network.....no matter whether they connect using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Is that when used in "bridge" mode or all the time? Where or what explains all this stuff?

Normally the uplink interface of the router is on a different network ... is that right? So, the output of a broadband router can be assigned say 192.168.1.0 network, and it goes into the uplink port of the Airport router. From there I am interpreting what you are saying that the wired and wifi output ports of the Airport are all on the same configurable network, say 192.168.2.0

But they do not have to be? In other words, are you saying that in bridge mode the wifi interface is on the same network as the output of the primary router ... in this case say 192.168.1.1 or the default route to the Internet.

Then all the ports of the secondary router are just bridged to the network that is managed by the primary router, and for example all wifi or wired devices connected to the secondary router would be managed DHCP-wise by the primary router?

I am getting a headache ... or maybe it is a brain tumor!

Jun 30, 2022 2:39 PM in response to bruxxx

Then all the ports of the secondary router are just bridged to the network that is managed by the primary router, and for example all wifi or wired devices connected to the secondary router would be managed DHCP-wise by the primary router?

Yep, that is all you need to know.

But, your current "remote" router which may or may not be configured correctly in Bridge Mode.....provides no Wi-Fi service at all.....and you said that you wanted to have a WiFi signal in the "remote" area.

That is why I suggested another AirPort. The product will literally configure itself correctly to work seamlessly with your "main" AirPort router.

If you don't need WiFi in the "remote" area, then make sure that your current "remote" router is configured to operate in Bridge Mode, so you can connect everything to the router using Ethernet.

Jun 30, 2022 8:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

But, your current "remote" router which may or may not be configured correctly in Bridge Mode.....provides no Wi-Fi service at all.....and you said that you wanted to have a WiFi signal in the "remote" area.

Thanks for all your explanations. I am not sure I am hearing you right. Are you

wifi?

I hope I have that right. Thanks again.

Esoteric Network Setup - Can iMac default route local ethernet over to Wifi internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.