You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yahoo mail account won't show up in accounts and passwords list

For some reason, since the last update (now that you change account passwords under passwords and accounts on the iPhone) my yahoo mail account won't show up in this list. I have deleted the account and recreated it with a new password, and it still doesn't show up in the list of accounts and passwords. This means anytime I need to change the password for this account, I'll have to delete it and recreate it. Anyone have another solution? (I am using iOS 15.5)

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 10:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 11:02 AM

OK, now I understand. To change your password for some account types (AOL, Yahoo, gmail, etc) you go to Settings/Mail/Accounts, tap on the account, delete it, then restart your phone and go back to Settings/Mail/Accounts and add it back. Yahoo in particular can use an app-based authentication method rather than a password that is more secure. If you have any Yahoo app on your phone.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 2, 2022 11:02 AM in response to Marshall Almeida

OK, now I understand. To change your password for some account types (AOL, Yahoo, gmail, etc) you go to Settings/Mail/Accounts, tap on the account, delete it, then restart your phone and go back to Settings/Mail/Accounts and add it back. Yahoo in particular can use an app-based authentication method rather than a password that is more secure. If you have any Yahoo app on your phone.

Jul 2, 2022 1:45 PM in response to Marshall Almeida

What issue are you talking about? The only way to change the password for gmail, hotmail, AOL and any AOL hosted email account (including Yahoo, BTW), MS Exchange, and almost any other type of IMAP account is to delete the account and add it back. I say “only”, but there are workarounds that are much more complicated than simply deleting and adding. In part because every email account has two passwords, one for sending and one for receiving, and doing it manually most people miss the sending password, then wonder why they can’t send email. And Yahoo is a special case, because they have a 2 factor authentication feature that requires confirming any change with a Yahoo app. And Google has recently made this change for gmail, also.

Within the next year most passwords will go away, to be replaced by the new international security standard called Passkey. Passwords are one of the worst security ideas ever invented; compromised passwords are the single most common cause of security breaches on servers and websites around the world. And Apple’s next OS updates for all devices will support passkey.

yahoo mail account won't show up in accounts and passwords list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.