You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't make a bootable USB installer for Monterey on a MacBook Pro (M1 Pro).....

I am trying to make a bootable McOS Monterey installer on a USB drive. I am on a MacBook M1 Pro. Following the detailed instructions to run the CreateInstallMedia command (after downloading the installer form the App Store), i get the following:

mbp-m1pro ~ % sudo /Applications/Install\ macos\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/MyVolume.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Making disk bootable...

Failed to extract AssetData/boot/Firmware/Manifests/InstallerBoot/* from update bundle

The bless of the installer disk failed.

What is the cause of this? Do I need a new USB drive or format it different (I formatted "MyVolume" as MacOS Extended (Journaled), GPT.

Please help. My other mac won't boot need this for recovery.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 6:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 7:31 PM

Michaeldonova wrote:

I feel better at my skills on Mac, thank you both for suggesting exactly what i've tried already. So far I have tried the different directory (same error), new installer (same error) and usnig a different admin (super) account (same error).

Also tried two different USBs, but trying more now. Hopefully there is a simple explanation of what is happening and why.

If you are running the beta as you indicate, I could see this being an issue; however it is against the terms-of-use to support beta at in this public forum.

You can try

https://appleseed.apple.com/discussions/forums

or

Developer Forums - Apple Community

if no insight or resolve there are alternatives—

https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.7.1/#/cadf1802aed

*Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

revert and Restore Shipping Software:

Restore Shipping Software

Unenroll Your Devices

Unenroll Your Devices

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 3, 2022 7:31 PM in response to Michaeldonova

Michaeldonova wrote:

I feel better at my skills on Mac, thank you both for suggesting exactly what i've tried already. So far I have tried the different directory (same error), new installer (same error) and usnig a different admin (super) account (same error).

Also tried two different USBs, but trying more now. Hopefully there is a simple explanation of what is happening and why.

If you are running the beta as you indicate, I could see this being an issue; however it is against the terms-of-use to support beta at in this public forum.

You can try

https://appleseed.apple.com/discussions/forums

or

Developer Forums - Apple Community

if no insight or resolve there are alternatives—

https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.7.1/#/cadf1802aed

*Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

revert and Restore Shipping Software:

Restore Shipping Software

Unenroll Your Devices

Unenroll Your Devices

Jul 3, 2022 7:53 PM in response to Michaeldonova

Michaeldonova wrote:

I didn’t even consider this. Thanks.

I just checked the version I downloaded.

The downloaded version is 12.4.1 (17.4.01), so I am actually asking for help making a 12.4.1 installer using the creatinstallmedia script bundled in that installer, which is allowed.

Nevertheless, unless someone can explain the error I will download a recovery dmg and do an internet install.

12.4.1 is also considered beta...unless it just dropped, but I am not seeing it.

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

you can see a list of the full installers:

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

Jul 3, 2022 7:12 PM in response to Michaeldonova

Michaeldonova wrote:

I am trying to make a bootable McOS Monterey installer on a USB drive. I am on a MacBook M1 Pro. Following the detailed instructions to run the CreateInstallMedia command (after downloading the installer form the App Store), i get the following:

mbp-m1pro ~ % sudo /Applications/Install\ macos\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
Ready to start.
To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/MyVolume.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y
Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%
Making disk bootable...
Failed to extract AssetData/boot/Firmware/Manifests/InstallerBoot/* from update bundle
The bless of the installer disk failed.

What is the cause of this? Do I need a new USB drive or format it different (I formatted "MyVolume" as MacOS Extended (Journaled), GPT.

Try moving the Monterey installer.app to a different folder and run the "createinstallmedia" again

your command-line will have to reflect the new location...

Jul 3, 2022 7:15 PM in response to Michaeldonova

Jul 3, 2022 7:44 PM in response to leroydouglas

I didn’t even consider this. Thanks.

I just checked the version I downloaded.

The downloaded version is 12.4.1 (17.4.01), so I am actually asking for help making a 12.4.1 installer using the creatinstallmedia script bundled in that installer, which is allowed.

Nevertheless, unless someone can explain the error I will download a recovery dmg and do an internet install.

Can't make a bootable USB installer for Monterey on a MacBook Pro (M1 Pro).....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.