You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove association with deleted app?

Hi, I just inherited an iPad 6th gen. I was playing around with text editor apps. I installed one and opened a text file with it from the Files app share menu. Afterward, I decided to delete the text editor app.

But now whenever I look at a text file in the Files app, it shows "Open in <deleted app>" at the top right next to the share icon. The deleted app is deleted; how do I stop Files from offering to use it?

I've tried sharing/opening with the Books app. This opens the file, but it doesn't get rid of "Open in <deleted app>".

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 6:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 7:00 PM

Try the following:

Get to the same place that is prompting you to "Open in"

You should see a row of icons of apps that will support that file type

Scroll the row of icons to the right until you see "More"

Tap on "More" which will bring up an editable list of those same apps in the row that you scrolled.

Tap "Edit" in the top right corner

Try removing the deleted app in question using the red minus button which will move it out of that "Favorites" list and down to the "Suggestions" list.

Now toggle the switch off on the app.

I am unsure if the above would work but it's worth a try.

One other thing to try is to force-restart the iPad. This clears out caches that may be causing the deleted app to keep showing although it's in fact deleted. Directions are here:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Follow the directions for your model of iPad.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2022 7:00 PM in response to SlaveOfCats

Try the following:

Get to the same place that is prompting you to "Open in"

You should see a row of icons of apps that will support that file type

Scroll the row of icons to the right until you see "More"

Tap on "More" which will bring up an editable list of those same apps in the row that you scrolled.

Tap "Edit" in the top right corner

Try removing the deleted app in question using the red minus button which will move it out of that "Favorites" list and down to the "Suggestions" list.

Now toggle the switch off on the app.

I am unsure if the above would work but it's worth a try.

One other thing to try is to force-restart the iPad. This clears out caches that may be causing the deleted app to keep showing although it's in fact deleted. Directions are here:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Follow the directions for your model of iPad.

Jul 4, 2022 6:39 PM in response to SlaveOfCats

SlaveOfCats Said:

"How to remove association with deleted app?: Hi, I just inherited an iPad 6th gen. I was playing around with text editor apps. I installed one and opened a text file with it from the Files app share menu. Afterward, I decided to delete the text editor app. But now whenever I look at a text file in the Files app, it shows 'Open in <deleted app>' at the top right next to the share icon. The deleted app is deleted; how do I stop Files from offering to use it? I've tried sharing/opening with the Books app. This opens the file, but it doesn't get rid of 'Open in <deleted app>'."

-------

Troubleshooting 'Open in <deleted app>'." Error:

Redownload the app form the App Store. Then, try opening this once more. Does that work. Seems simple enough. Report back if it works.

How to remove association with deleted app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.