You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from iPad

At my job I have a printer that is connected to the network. In order to print from my printer you have to be connect to the network via Ethernet cord. Can I print from the ipad if I am connected to the network? Also, how advanced are the printing capabilities on ipad..

i need to be able to print multiple copies , I need to print double sided , and in terms of speed , how fast is would it be to send the info to the printer compared to let’s say…a MacBook ..?

thank you!

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 6:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 7:52 AM

Hi,

In order to print from the iPad (without a special iPadOS app), the printer must support the AirPrint technology. If so, the printer and the iPad must be on the same network (subnet). The iPad would require a wireless (Wi-Fi) connection to the network.

Please post back with the exact printer model, and information about whether a Wi-Fi router is available.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2022 7:52 AM in response to Robbyoungzz

Hi,

In order to print from the iPad (without a special iPadOS app), the printer must support the AirPrint technology. If so, the printer and the iPad must be on the same network (subnet). The iPad would require a wireless (Wi-Fi) connection to the network.

Please post back with the exact printer model, and information about whether a Wi-Fi router is available.

Jul 6, 2022 8:03 AM in response to Robbyoungzz

Given that you are using business resources, you would be best advised to seek assistance from your IT/Network Administrators for guidance. If supported by your printer, AirPrint must be explicitly enabled. Printers that are accessed via a network print-server - as is perhaps likely in a business environment - may or may not be accessible from mobile devices such as iPad or iPhone.

See:

Apple AirPrint is a driverless connection protocol - that requires a compatible Printer to be wirelessly connected to your WiFi network - or to support AirPrint via an Ethernet network connection. A high proportion of modern printers intended for Home, SoHo and Business environments now support AirPrint. Check the printer model against this list:

If your printer is not compatible with AirPrint, there are alternatives…

Some printer manufacturers have a suitable companion App that provides Print capabilities for mobile devices, often using a web-based print service (caveat - business networks will likely block internet print facilities). Others can print directly if the App supports other network printing protocols. By example, some HP Printers use the HP Smart App - available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/hp-smart/id469284907

You might also consider connecting a non-AirPrint printer to a PC or Mac computer - and install a “helper application” that allows the computer to emulate AirPrint capabilities; one such option is Readdle Printer Pro, for which suitable software for PC is available. A link to the PC software is included from this page:

https://readdle.com/printerpro

A further alternative is to consider installing a dedicated Print Server Appliance on your network - and connect your printer to this. One example is the Lantronix xPrintServer.

Printing from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.