You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brute Force OS X protection

Hi, I use my Mac Mini M1 in a business environment, but as part of Cyber Essentials, we must prove that all workstations protect against a brute force attempt against an account by at least one of the following methods:

•'Throttling' the rate of attempts. This means the time the user must wait between attempts increases with each unsuccessful attempt. This should permit no more than 10 guesses in 5minutes.

•Locking devices after no more than 10 unsuccessful attempts.

How do I achieve this in the latest OS X? Annoyingly it seems easy with Windows 11 and a group policy.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 3:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 4:40 AM

If the Company this that concerned about Brute Force Protection - they maybe better served by investing in a More Secure Environment to keep Bad Actors from gaining access to the Company machines IMHO

Even at that - any Apple Silicon Computers, in Big Sur and above, have some features which the user may or may not be aware of.

1 - Security certifications for the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support (CA)

2 - Sealed Key Protection (SKP)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 7, 2022 4:40 AM in response to SambaRumba

If the Company this that concerned about Brute Force Protection - they maybe better served by investing in a More Secure Environment to keep Bad Actors from gaining access to the Company machines IMHO

Even at that - any Apple Silicon Computers, in Big Sur and above, have some features which the user may or may not be aware of.

1 - Security certifications for the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support (CA)

2 - Sealed Key Protection (SKP)

Brute Force OS X protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.