You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if my iPhones been hacked

how can I tell if my iPad or iPhone has been hacked

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 7:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 8:09 PM

Beau_11 Said:

"how can I tell if my iPad or iPhone has been hacked"

-------

About a Hacked iPhone:

Who's the seller?:

If Apple, then no worries there.

Restore your iPhone:

If you are so concerned, then restore from a backup or reset your iPhone to factory settings.

A. Restore from a Backup:

Did your ever back up your iPhone with these installed? If so, back up you could back up your iPhone, and then restore it from the backup.

or...

B. Resetting to Factory Settings:

Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2022 8:09 PM in response to Beau_11

Beau_11 Said:

"how can I tell if my iPad or iPhone has been hacked"

-------

About a Hacked iPhone:

Who's the seller?:

If Apple, then no worries there.

Restore your iPhone:

If you are so concerned, then restore from a backup or reset your iPhone to factory settings.

A. Restore from a Backup:

Did your ever back up your iPhone with these installed? If so, back up you could back up your iPhone, and then restore it from the backup.

or...

B. Resetting to Factory Settings:

Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jul 12, 2022 6:03 PM in response to Beau_11

The hackers we will likely encounter use free software like netcat to access your device or browser. This is typically achieved by tricking you into clicking a link, or processing an attachment. 

That being said apple should be competent enough to block these threats especially considering they are very well known exploits. If you see hackers bragging about certain ‘hacks’ online, you know these ‘hacks’ probably were patched a long time ago. Most ‘hackers’ on public forums are crude ‘script kiddies’. The real hackers tend to keep silent because there are very real threats to bad actors who can permanently shutdown cyber criminals. These vigilantes aren’t associated with governments either, most are just people who hate hackers enough that they learned to hack specifically to punish bad actors. 

Android phones are much more vulnerable because most androids are not official google devices so they arent closely monitored or updated by google. If you want to keep a device secure, do not sign in to the mail app and never use the device for browsing. Only download apps from app store or official websites of legitimatecompanies. Turn off wps on your router and set router fire wall to maximum settings. However this will also prevent you from playing online multiplayer games. Also delete social media apps from your device and limit online presence.

If you must browse, only use websites like youtube and well known sites like mayoclinic. Never search ‘has my ipad been hacked’ because the search suggestions may lead to websites that are likely designed by hackers to compromise your device. (I learned this the hard way). If you need real technical support call apple support directly, the physical apple store can only help you restore your device to factory settings, apple phone support can remotely access your device and help you locate malware or collect analytics to close vulnerabilities.

Most of the time ipads are ‘hacked’ by acquaintences or family who saw your apple id and password laying on the table or in your notebook, or even in your notes app while your device was opened. They then sign in to your apple id and access your icloud photos and now you think they are on your device because they correctly reveal your notes, mail, and photos. Then you proceed to hysterically desseminate misinformation and fear on the apple forums, when in reality you were ‘hacked’ because you accidentally showed someone your apple id.

How can I tell if my iPhones been hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.