You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music adding songs to library automatically - Can I stop this?

I was having a problem with volume levels in Apple Music. I would play an MP3 file not in Apple Music rather just in a folder on my MacBook Pro. (I would just double click the file to launch Apple Music to play it.). I finally dragged the MP3 file into the Apple Music Library. This seems to have fixed the fluctuating volume level problem.

However, it now appears that every time I launch an MP3 file from a folder (again, not from the Apple Music Library), it adds the file to the Apple Music Library. I do not want these sound files added to my library. Is there any way to stop this behavior? Note - The “automatic download” setting is unchecked.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 8:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 5:41 AM

K Coghlan,

Any file you play in Music (and iTunes) will be added to your library. If you only want to listen, and not have it added to the library, use a different player such as QuickTime or VLC to listen to it.

Similar questions

2 replies

Apple Music adding songs to library automatically - Can I stop this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.