You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pairing iPhone to Apple Watch activation lock issue

I am trying to pair a new to me watch to my phone. It was my sisters and she doesnt have access to the old email she used when she first got the watch. It has the activation lock on it.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 8:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 8:53 AM

If you sister is the original owner, have her contact Apple. Apple can remove the ID  if provided the required paperwork to include the original purchase receipt with the serial number on it. 

Request additional support for unlocking your device.    -

You used to be able to take the device, the original purchase receipt with the serial number, and a photo ID to the nearest Apple Store (if it has reopened) and have them remove the ID. This may have changed, so call the store before going to make sure they can help.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple.   -

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2022 8:53 AM in response to brennareese

If you sister is the original owner, have her contact Apple. Apple can remove the ID  if provided the required paperwork to include the original purchase receipt with the serial number on it. 

Request additional support for unlocking your device.    -

You used to be able to take the device, the original purchase receipt with the serial number, and a photo ID to the nearest Apple Store (if it has reopened) and have them remove the ID. This may have changed, so call the store before going to make sure they can help.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple.   -

Jul 11, 2022 8:56 AM in response to brennareese

There is no way to bypass the activation lock. This is for security reasons and to prevent theft of someone else's property.

You can reset the Apple ID password if you know the Apple ID. Please read this support page: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support.

If you also forgot the Apple ID, please refer to this support page: https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid.

I'm sorry but there is no way to bypass it.

I hope this answers your question!

Jul 11, 2022 9:33 AM in response to Eric Root

In my case the watch given to me is from a person who died, her husband who gave it to me does not have her wife email neither password in order to unlock the activation code. I already reset the watch since I did not know it has the same system as an iPhone with the activation lock. Is there any way to pair my phone with the watch?

Thank you

Pairing iPhone to Apple Watch activation lock issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.