You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019) Not Charging at all from any USB-C Port

This has been an ongoing issue that started just before my warranty was up. It was fine for a while, but now it's becoming a giant pain.

My charger is plugged in. In the upper right corner of the screen the battery icon is showing the plug symbol in the battery. Status is- Power Source: Power Adapter, Battery is Not Charging. It does not change no matter which thunderbolt port I have plugged in. Eventually my computer dies. I rotate the plug between all ports. At some point, one works so I can turn it on. SMC Reset sometimes helps. Typically doesn't. Battery Condition is Normal.

I feel like I'm spending more time trying to charge my computer than using it and I'm lost on fixes. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 5:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 6:27 PM

Make sure to connect the charger directly to the laptop since multi-port adapters, docks, hubs may not let the full power of the charger to reach the laptop.

Also keep in mind that rotating the connector of the charging cable 180 degrees upside down can sometimes make a difference if the port is half bad (charger, laptop, or even the cable).

I find that the USB-C ports on the Apple laptops seem to attract liquids as I find so many of our organization's Macs with corroded contacts on the laptop's USB-C ports which cannot always be seen by looking into the ports. But connecting/disconnecting multiple times can sometimes remove some of the corrosion (or even oxidation) to allow it to work.

However, if all of the ports have the same issue, it tends to indicate a charger/cable issue or a bad Logic Board or possibly a bad battery. You should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate. It is a good idea to take your charger & charging cable to be checked out just in case.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected although the only useful diagnostic result is one which reports an issue.

Actually today Apple told me that performing a "Restore" of the T2 firmware should be tried as well to attempt to resolve these issues, but I'm not really sold on the idea this would have any bearing at all. It would help if Apple would explain their reasoning here as it definitely is not apparent to me. Thought I would mention it since Apple may insist on this when examining the laptop. Make sure to have a good backup before taking it in for service.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2022 6:27 PM in response to banfhlaith

Make sure to connect the charger directly to the laptop since multi-port adapters, docks, hubs may not let the full power of the charger to reach the laptop.

Also keep in mind that rotating the connector of the charging cable 180 degrees upside down can sometimes make a difference if the port is half bad (charger, laptop, or even the cable).

I find that the USB-C ports on the Apple laptops seem to attract liquids as I find so many of our organization's Macs with corroded contacts on the laptop's USB-C ports which cannot always be seen by looking into the ports. But connecting/disconnecting multiple times can sometimes remove some of the corrosion (or even oxidation) to allow it to work.

However, if all of the ports have the same issue, it tends to indicate a charger/cable issue or a bad Logic Board or possibly a bad battery. You should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate. It is a good idea to take your charger & charging cable to be checked out just in case.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected although the only useful diagnostic result is one which reports an issue.

Actually today Apple told me that performing a "Restore" of the T2 firmware should be tried as well to attempt to resolve these issues, but I'm not really sold on the idea this would have any bearing at all. It would help if Apple would explain their reasoning here as it definitely is not apparent to me. Thought I would mention it since Apple may insist on this when examining the laptop. Make sure to have a good backup before taking it in for service.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Jul 19, 2022 9:43 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the info! I always charge directly to the computer directly. I did try the rotate 180 degrees prior to posting and tried a few chargers. (One would only charge sometimes and if it was closed...) I do think it's something hardware related and when I took my MacBook to get checked out previously they found nothing wrong. At the moment, it appears to be acting normal, which makes it harder to diagnose any issues.

All your suggestions were great though!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019) Not Charging at all from any USB-C Port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.