You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I use my playlist that I have paid for with Apple Music with an IMovie?

I am trying to make a slideshow with IMovie for my daughter's graduation from high school. I pay for Apple Music and made a playlist for this slideshow. It is telling me I can not use the songs. I would gladly pay separately for each song, but I already have a subscription to Apple Music. Can anyone help??

Thank you

iPhone 13

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 9:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 9:09 AM

Apple Music as you point out is a subscription service, as such you do not own the tracks. You are only renting therm, and have access to them while the subscription is active. Just like you don't own the gym equipment when you sign up to a gym. you can use the equipment and their services only while you are subscribed and can't take the gym equipment home with you.

Same premise with the Apple Music subscription service. All subscriptions services work like this, because music labels want to prevent piracy of their music.

Adding them to a movie you are making would in essence bypass the subscription and allow you to keep them even if the subscription was cancelled which is obviously not something the labels would allow.

If you want to use music in a iMove you need to actually purchase the songs from the iTunes Store.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2022 9:09 AM in response to Mommaof3Olives

Apple Music as you point out is a subscription service, as such you do not own the tracks. You are only renting therm, and have access to them while the subscription is active. Just like you don't own the gym equipment when you sign up to a gym. you can use the equipment and their services only while you are subscribed and can't take the gym equipment home with you.

Same premise with the Apple Music subscription service. All subscriptions services work like this, because music labels want to prevent piracy of their music.

Adding them to a movie you are making would in essence bypass the subscription and allow you to keep them even if the subscription was cancelled which is obviously not something the labels would allow.

If you want to use music in a iMove you need to actually purchase the songs from the iTunes Store.

Why can't I use my playlist that I have paid for with Apple Music with an IMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.