You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change iCloud email

Hello Apple Community!

My Apple ID has always been a gmail email address. When I signed up I chose an @icloud.com address I thought I would never use.

I would like to switch to apple mail but want a new @iCloud address.

To clarify, I don't want to change my Apple ID email. I only want to change the iCloud email associated with it so I can send apple mail from that new email address.

Is there a way to change this email address?

Thank you in advance...

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 10:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 9:15 PM

Welcome .

The scenarios when changed -

To change to a different iCloud email address, you can't add an email address or change an email address. You need to create a NEW iCloud account.

Not necessary you can add an email address in Mac system preferences > internet accounts , you don't need to create new iCloud account , these mail addresses were already created from other device iPad / iPhone or other Mac , but they can be utilised in your primary Mac , the primary Apple ID of your " Mac A " will be still signed and working .

Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Change Internet Accounts preferences on Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › mac

Add an internet account - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

You keep your primary one, and then just use the email address associated with your new account.

Yes the primary Apple ID is still signed in , you can use other mail address either fromweb account ( like signing in from gmail server if apple id is created as example2@gmail.com or what ever service you had created .

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2022 9:15 PM in response to saranac

Welcome .

The scenarios when changed -

To change to a different iCloud email address, you can't add an email address or change an email address. You need to create a NEW iCloud account.

Not necessary you can add an email address in Mac system preferences > internet accounts , you don't need to create new iCloud account , these mail addresses were already created from other device iPad / iPhone or other Mac , but they can be utilised in your primary Mac , the primary Apple ID of your " Mac A " will be still signed and working .

Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Change Internet Accounts preferences on Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › mac

Add an internet account - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

You keep your primary one, and then just use the email address associated with your new account.

Yes the primary Apple ID is still signed in , you can use other mail address either fromweb account ( like signing in from gmail server if apple id is created as example2@gmail.com or what ever service you had created .

Jul 15, 2022 11:01 AM in response to saranac

Sign in with your Apple ID say example1@gmail.com from a web browser at www.icloud.com and click on create a new Apple ID say example2@icloud.com , you have to enter the primary Apple ID credentials to create new mail address ( its an Apple ID ) see the article How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Then add this Apple ID example2 @icloud.com in internet accounts .

Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support

You can compose a mail from mail application using gmail address and sent to iCloud mail address Write and send emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note : the primary Apple ID is still signed in Mac system preferences .

Jul 16, 2022 11:45 PM in response to saranac

As in your screen shot ( second part ) when Apple ID is signed out from Mac system preferences this option appears click on create a Apple ID see a thread I can't create an @icloud.com email addre… - Apple Community

In first part of the screen short , it will be shown when Mac is in process of setting up iCloud Set up your Mac - Apple Support

If you had already an Apple ID in the past sign it with Apple ID and password in Mac system preferences .

In your case the Apple ID if it's signed in Mac system preferences , the other option is create a new Apple ID from www.icloud.com ( click on create a new Apple ID ) .

Jul 16, 2022 11:46 AM in response to tygb

Thank you for such a thorough reply!

I'm stuck on step 1. I don't see "Create a new ID". I don't see it when I try on iCloud.com, nor on system preferences noted in your link (screen shot attached).

How do I get from the system preferences screen to the Apple ID screen?

Thank you for your assist, it's much appreciated.

Jul 21, 2022 6:14 AM in response to tygb

Thank you, this worked.

For others wanting the same thing my confusion was terminology.

To change to a different iCloud email address, you can't add an email address or change an email address. You need to create a NEW iCloud account. You keep your primary one, and then just use the email address associated with your new account.

change iCloud email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.