You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Often when I'm typing an email on my desktop, I get a pop-up message sayingThe message “” could not be moved to the mailbox “(null)”. But I

Often when I'm typing an email on my desktop (Monterrey), I get a pop-up message sayingThe message “” could not be moved to the mailbox “(null)”. But I'm not trying to move the message -- I'm still in the process of typing it.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 2:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 3:19 PM

I wonder if this is Mail periodically trying to save a draft. Try this:

1. From the menu, choose Mail > Preferences.
  2. Click the Accounts tab, then Mailbox Behaviours.
  3. Click the Drafts Mailbox dropdown, and choose a mailbox in the On My Mac section (on my computer there's a mailbox called All Drafts, but I'm not sure if that's universal).

This should cause Mail to store drafts locally on your computer, rather than on your mail server. Even if this isn't what you want long-term, it would good to know if it stops the error popping up.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2022 3:19 PM in response to rjarlington

I wonder if this is Mail periodically trying to save a draft. Try this:

1. From the menu, choose Mail > Preferences.
  2. Click the Accounts tab, then Mailbox Behaviours.
  3. Click the Drafts Mailbox dropdown, and choose a mailbox in the On My Mac section (on my computer there's a mailbox called All Drafts, but I'm not sure if that's universal).

This should cause Mail to store drafts locally on your computer, rather than on your mail server. Even if this isn't what you want long-term, it would good to know if it stops the error popping up.

Often when I'm typing an email on my desktop, I get a pop-up message sayingThe message “” could not be moved to the mailbox “(null)”. But I

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.