You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from Time Machine after installing a new system drive (with no OS X on it)

My 128 GB flash/ssd system drive failed and I got the "?" and blinking folder indicating that no system could be found. After a while understanding that the system drive was dead then I thought Ok, I need more space anyways so then I had a OWC 480 GB new ssd/flash drive installed.

There is no OS X on this new drive and I have av Time machine backup which are suppose to have taken backup of all (I would guess OS X Sierra also).

1.) I would like to restore from my Time Machine backup, preferably indeed to OS X High Sierra and my user files. How to do that without Apple having me to install a new OS X?

Can it be done from Rescue mode (starting from internet)?

2.) Would it be smart to do a backup of the Time Machine drive first (that is a spinning mechanical disk (not ssd/flash)?

3.) How long would it take approx. to restore the backup (about 100 GB) since I only had about 20 GB free space before it crashed.

4.) Any considerations to think of in regard to that OWC probably is not a original Apple disk?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 5:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 6:58 AM

You can boot from recovery (cmd+R when booting) and do the time machine bakcup.

For me personally, I would install OSX first with an usb (if you have access to another Mac) and do only the documents via time machine. It can take a long time to set all that back

OWC Has very good disks, I should not worry about that

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2022 6:58 AM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

You can boot from recovery (cmd+R when booting) and do the time machine bakcup.

For me personally, I would install OSX first with an usb (if you have access to another Mac) and do only the documents via time machine. It can take a long time to set all that back

OWC Has very good disks, I should not worry about that

Jul 18, 2022 7:21 AM in response to WheelieNick

Thank you. So booting from the internet is ok to do? Any reason you would prefer to install OSX first with an usb? And why would I need another Mac to do that (install OS X first)?

My reason to ask is that I guess there are user specific files amongst the OS X files which were backed up by Time Machine which relates to programs I have installed which might be necessary for them to run properly?

And would booting via the internet, then installing & restoring from Time Machine install the original OS X I want (High Sierra)?

Restore from Time Machine after installing a new system drive (with no OS X on it)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.