You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop icons disappeared, but not from the "Desktop" folder

I have one of the most ridiculous bugs in Macbooks (on top of many other similar inconvenient features which I will not mention here...): My desktop icons disappeared all of a sudden. I don't know why, I didn't even realize it because I was working. The folder "Desktop" is there in Finder, and icons are in that folder too; but my desktop (i.e., the screen you see when you turn on the laptop), doesn't have any icons. Plus, I had set a custom background and it was gone too. My desktop 'screen' is not even connected to my desktop 'folder' because when I take a screenshot, it is not shown on the screen. It is shown in the folder. FYI, I searched for solutions but nobody experienced the same issue; in their cases either the icons were hidden or they needed to uncheck the iCloud backup for Desktop&Finder.

Does anyone have any solutions for this? If it helps: It's 2021 MacBook Pro 14", and software is up to date.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 7:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 3:33 PM

We fixed the problem with help of Apple Customer Support and I'd like to add this to here in case anyone needs it in the future: After trying a couple of other options, the thing that finally worked was the following:

-Go to Library folder

-Go to Preferences folder

-Find "com.apple.finder.plist" and move it to the "Desktop" folder in the sidebar

-Restart the computer

-Icons re-appear and desktop works fine

Apparently for an unknown reason this file was corrupt and the communication between screen and the Desktop folder had an issue. I am guessing doing this re-configure the desktop settings and solved the problem.

I hope it helps anyone who may have the same issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2022 3:33 PM in response to ekrem947

We fixed the problem with help of Apple Customer Support and I'd like to add this to here in case anyone needs it in the future: After trying a couple of other options, the thing that finally worked was the following:

-Go to Library folder

-Go to Preferences folder

-Find "com.apple.finder.plist" and move it to the "Desktop" folder in the sidebar

-Restart the computer

-Icons re-appear and desktop works fine

Apparently for an unknown reason this file was corrupt and the communication between screen and the Desktop folder had an issue. I am guessing doing this re-configure the desktop settings and solved the problem.

I hope it helps anyone who may have the same issue.

Jul 20, 2022 7:22 AM in response to ekrem947

ekrem947 wrote:

I have one of the most ridiculous bugs in Macbooks (on top of many other similar inconvenient features which I will not mention here...): My desktop icons disappeared all of a sudden. I don't know why, I didn't even realize it because I was working. The folder "Desktop" is there in Finder, and icons are in that folder too; but my desktop (i.e., the screen you see when you turn on the laptop), doesn't have any icons. Plus, I had set a custom background and it was gone too. My desktop 'screen' is not even connected to my desktop 'folder' because when I take a screenshot, it is not shown on the screen. It is shown in the folder. FYI, I searched for solutions but nobody experienced the same issue; in their cases either the icons were hidden or they needed to uncheck the iCloud backup for Desktop&Finder.

Does anyone have any solutions for this? If it helps: It's 2021 MacBook Pro 14", and software is up to date.

Thanks.

try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Jul 20, 2022 2:19 PM in response to leroydouglas

Yes I tried that - no help...

I created a new user account as administrator, and that new account did not have this issue. Then it can't be a macOS problem, it is specific to my account. At first, I suspected that I created new desktops (with F3) and then deleted the one that originally had the icons, and the new desktops did not have the ability for desktop modifications. But I tried to re-generate the issue on this new user account, and realized that the icons are actually copied to all new desktops you create. I don't know what is going on....

Desktop icons disappeared, but not from the "Desktop" folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.