You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older HP printer driver for macOS Monterey

My HP LaserJet 6mp Printer will not work since updating. Is there a patch to this older printer?

It uses a HP JetDirect 300X to connect to the iMac (2020)

What can I say, I do not wish to throw out a usable printer.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 1:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 1:35 PM

Hi,

You could perhaps try the Apple package download HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update (despite the system requirements). An HP LaserJet 6P/6MP version 19.13 driver is mentioned in the referenced article Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. Look upon this as an experiment. It may or may not install/work. Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything. Also, it may be a good idea to reset the printing system between tests.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If this does not work, you may want to try a generic PCL or postscript driver.

Also, Gutenprint drivers are often suggested when appropriate drivers cannot be found for older printers (an HP LaserJet 6MP hp-lj_6mp driver is listed in http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php). This may or may not work with your computer and operating system. Normally, it is recommended to download drivers from Apple or a printer manufacturer only. So, downloads from any other source would be at your own risk.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2022 1:35 PM in response to Checker_A_12

Hi,

You could perhaps try the Apple package download HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update (despite the system requirements). An HP LaserJet 6P/6MP version 19.13 driver is mentioned in the referenced article Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. Look upon this as an experiment. It may or may not install/work. Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything. Also, it may be a good idea to reset the printing system between tests.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If this does not work, you may want to try a generic PCL or postscript driver.

Also, Gutenprint drivers are often suggested when appropriate drivers cannot be found for older printers (an HP LaserJet 6MP hp-lj_6mp driver is listed in http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php). This may or may not work with your computer and operating system. Normally, it is recommended to download drivers from Apple or a printer manufacturer only. So, downloads from any other source would be at your own risk.

Jul 22, 2022 1:30 PM in response to Checker_A_12

HP has not provided driver support for the 6MP since Mac Classic OS 9, so over 20 years ago. There is no driver solution for macOS Monterey. HP has no driver solution for the LaserJet 6mp on its latest release of the HP Linux Imaging and Printing driver. The last Windows driver was for 64-bit Vista. And finally, the GutenPrint 5.3.3 release for macOS does support the LaserJet 6mp — however, that software has not been updated since Fall 2019 and was intended for macOS Catalina, not Monterey.

You would be better served, without headache, if you just acquired a new wired/wireless print that is supported in Apple's built-in AirPrint, or that states this on its box or advertising. Or, is currently supported by its vendor for Monterey. Neither the past nor HP cares about your ancient printer's compatibility with modern operating systems.

I took a workhorse 20-year-old LaserJet 4MP (Mac model) to the dump because drivers were getting scarce, and I had to guess whether a $90 toner cartridge or replacement platen (if I could find one) would cure the printing issues. I moved on…

Older HP printer driver for macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.