You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to finish factory resetting a MacBook Air M1

So after signing out of iCloud and disconnecting this device from my account, I went to system preferences and erases all contents and settings.

However, on start up, I am greeted by the recovery assistant page where it prompts me to connect to Wi-Fi. Yet I cannot find a way to connect to the internet from this screen.

I essentially want to factory reset this machine so I can return it to the store I bought it from.

So, what should I do next? Should I connect it to Wi-Fi and run the recovery assistant? Or should I go ahead and erase the Mac outright via recovery assistant?

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 6:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 8:09 PM

Hello,

Go to this support page How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Before you reinstall the OS, it is a good idea to run Disk Utility and completely format the disk. This will ensure that there is no residual data on it before you return it.

1 reply

How to finish factory resetting a MacBook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.